Sunday, June 20, 2010

Folly by, Marthe Jocelyn




Three fates intertwine in this moving and passionate love story set in Victorian London.


Mary Finn: country girl, maid to a lord in London

Caden Tucker: liar, scoundrel, and heart's delight

James Nelligan: age six, tossed into a herd of boys

When Mary Finn falls into the arms of handsome Caden Tucker, their frolic changes the course of her life. What possesses her? She's been a girl of common sense until now. Mary's tale alternates with that of young James Nelligan, a new boy in an enormous foundling home.

Okay. You got me. I shop by cover sometimes. Who doesn't? The cover catches your eye and you think I've got to have that! The same with shopping for clothes only for me it's books. Well, that's what happened with Folly. I had to know why the girl looked that way. I still don't know why, but it was a good book.

I started the book a little disappointed because it was written in 19th century vernacular. It was hard to understand at first. Then I don't know if the author stopped writing that way or I just got used to it because soon it didn't matter. It was clear as a bell to me. I really fell in love with the three main characters. There was nothing about them not to love. Mary was a country girl only 14 when she was forced to leave home, but she was strong willed and sure and good, back when that really meant something. James was a brave boy at six and smart to figure out how to get along in the world without getting picked on and he was so lovable, I could picture him with his blonde curls and giving his head a rub. And my heart ached for Oliver Chester who didn't feel like he was worthy of leaving the place he grew up. The chapters go back and forth between the characters and weaves the story only fully revealing the whole story at the very end, but an astute reader can probably guess the ending before then. I wasn't very astute until I went back and looked at the chapters.

The book wasn't very long, but it was heartbreaking in places,(not enough to make me cry) and heartwarming in others. I read this in a couple of hours and enjoyed it. But, I still don't understand the cover. Maybe someone else will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva