Monday, July 26, 2010

It Started With a Dare by Lindsay Faith Rech

Self-proclaimed nobody CG Silverman sees her move to an upscale new school as her chance to be somebody different. Her devil-may-care attitude attracts the in-clique, and before CG realizes it, a routine game of truth or dare launches her to iconic status. While this rebel image helps secure CG’s new found popularity, it also propels her through a maze of unprecedented chaos, with each new lie and every dare opening doors that, in most cases, were better off left shut. CG is on a collision course with disaster. Will she be able to keep up the fa├žade? Or will the whole world find out she’s a fraud? (From Goodreads).

This was an E-book ARC I got from Net-Galley.  I am not being compensated  in any way for my review. 
The release date for this book is September 13, 2010.

This book is definitely not for a younger group. There is a lot of talk about sex and profanity in it and it addresses some issues that younger aged 12 and under might be better off waiting to read about until they are older.

It's high school, the usual scene, the teen queen and her honey bees are around her. The story is told from CG's point of view. CG has just moved there and for some unknown reason, the Queen Bee has graced her with recognition. Her father is CG's father's boss. All of a sudden, CG decides to become this new person so she can stay with the honey bees that hover around the Queen Bee.  She becomes this rebel that never turns down a dare, has done anything they've ever thought about, and doesn't think about anything, but staying in that group. She doesn't care what she has to do to stay there. She doesn't realize at the top that they aren't her friends, they're just the top. Then, she finally takes a look at them and realizes their lives for being so popular and moneyed aren't as perfect as she thought they were and the boy who looked so golden isn't at all. 

This is a typical high school wanna be popular book, but with a twist. CG doesn't have sex with the football team. She doesn't kiss ass to the cool crowd. She doesn't even ingratiate herself to the Queen bee. She builds herself up quickly as the bad girl, the rebel, the daredevil with the Queen Bee and her honey bees. I've never seen the rebel be the one that fit in with the Queen. Her clothes look like they come from secondhand stores, her shoes are Payless, and her back pack is from Good Will. But with each lie she tells she goes up a notch in the groups eyes until they rename themselves, The Four Tops. She shops with them in stores where they buy expensive clothes and she buys nothing, but it doesn't bother her in the least. They live in mansions, she lives in a townhouse that CG's father's company set them up in. She acts like none of it bothers her and it doesn't. She's not label conscious and doesn't care about money, but she does want to be popular.

CG does some unthinkable things, as do her other "tops" and it's hard to imagine how she's going to make the mess she's made go away and keep her position in the Four Tops. Is it even possible? Does she even want it?  She has to figure out who CG is before she can come clean. But will she?

I have to leave it like that though since it's predictable, you probably know what happens. There are some good lessons to be learned from her story. Not all honey bees are happy there. Sometimes the nerds are happier than the queen bees. And being yourself today doesn't mean you have to be that same person tomorrow. You don't have to have everything figured out in high school. You shouldn't. You're ever evolving.

I thought it was a good book. It was a quick easy read. Even at just 300 pages I read it in a few hours. The writing flows and the chapters don't break up the story. It touched on bulimia, slightly on alcoholism, teen sex, teacher/student relationships and as I said there was some profanity in it. It wasn't quite as light hearted as the cover makes it seem, but CG has her funny moments when she's talking in her head. I'd recommend this for 14 and up. I definitely think teen girls will identify with CG and see some part of themselves in her predicament.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by--I can't wait to see more of your reviews!!!

    --I read your review, too--And I'm glad we could compare!!! This is my favorite part about finding all these new blogs, getting to talk about books that we've all read and seeing different perspectives--This one was a really fun read for me--I couldn't believe how much it made me laugh--But I was also surprised by the course language--I don't think the difference in perspectives is as much age related, as I'm not a mom--So, while you're probably reading this and then thinking back, wondering if your own kids could ever be that crazy, I was more prone to wishing I hadn't been so uptight when I was that age ;)

    But I definitely enjoyed your review!!!!!! And I don't think you were preachy at all--It's definitely got a "teen who wants to be popular" set-up, like you were talking about--I just enjoyed how it felt like it reached beyond the initial set-up, as if there weren't any boundaries...of course, every story has to come to an end sometime, and when I felt satisfied, instead of cheated or let down, that's my markings of a good book!!!

    Can't wait to see more of your reviews!!! Have a great weekend!!!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva