Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Now I know this one has been reviewed to death, but here's my take on it.  I'd heard all the hype and usually things don't live up to their hype, especially entertainment type things.  So, despite loving Lament and Ballad (forgive my shortened titles)  I was prepared to not like this book.  Boy was I wrong.  It lived up to every bit of it's hype and then some.  I know a lot of you have been to the book store but I "pre-ordered" mine from Amazon and they've only moved the date up to the 19th.  So, I'll keep myself busy.  I do have a lot of reading to do.

I loved how observant in tune Sam was to Grace's needs.  That her parents weren't really very parental at all.  I loved how he tried to stay human for her for as long as he could.  He was so self sacrificing, torn between two worlds as he was.  The candy store trip was so romantic.  And he was so protective of Grace, afraid of losing control, wanting to take her out on a real date.  I fell in love with Sam wishing I was in high school again with a real guy like that instead of the guys like Jack that always seemed to like me.

And then Olivia.  As soon as she started missing school, I knew what had happened.  But I was surprised she took to it so well.  And then there was Isabelle.  She tried to be strong and tough but she suffered as much loss as Grace did because she lost her brother twice.  I think of anyone in the book, I felt most sorry for her, because in the end, she had no one.  Grace still had Sam, even though she hadn't seen him.  Olivia was what she wanted to be.

The last few pages were unbelievable.  I wish I had been standing on that deck watching or better yet, standing in the woods looking at Grace's reaction.  Please tell me that Linger is the last book in the series because I don't want to wait forever for the next book to come out after it.  I'd definitely give this one two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva