Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

I have read so many mixed reviews about this book that I didn't know what I was getting myself into.  But somewhere on someone's blog there was a link to read the first few chapters of the book and I was hooked.  I had read complaints that Haven was stupid for this and that and for believing this and that.  She was seventeen.  I was stupid at seventeen too.  I believed it when a boy said he loved me and he didn't.  I believed people that said they were my friends when they were just using me for a ride.  We are naive at that age and given her sheltered life in Snope City Tennessee?  Can you be any more sheltered?

I didn't fault Haven for any of the mistakes she made.  I'd have made the same ones.  When she didn't trust what she was being told by someone she thought she could trust it made perfect sense for her to do what she did.  When she went to the Ouroboros Society, it made sense that she trust some and not others.  That she was confused all the time.  That she misinterpreted things.  She didn't remember the past.  Only when she had those past life dreams that left her in a dead faint.  And they even misled her. 

I think as a mystery/romance this was a great book.  It had lots of twists and turns and kept me guessing right up to the very end.  I had no idea who she could trust except for her friend Beau.  I hated her Grandmother and hoped she'd drop dead of a heart attack or something but I guess she represents prejudice or something.  Beau was a great friend and Leah was an interesting character as well.  The romance between Haven and Ethan was just enough to make it believable but not over the top gushy.  It's probably the fastest I've ever read a book.  It was cut up into small simple chapters and the writing was simple and flowed easily into the next chapter.

I have discovered that YA books read quicker and simpler than adult books.  I'm reading a mystery series and it takes me a lot longer to read those books than the YA books.  And it isn't because I'm not interested.  I'm very interested and am trying to find time all day to get back to my book, but the story is more complex, the characters more complex and the wording.  I just never noticed until I started reading this series. 

In any case, I loved The Eternal Ones and I'm glad I didn't listen to the bad reviews.  I know we can't all like the same things.  We all have different tastes.  But it was an interesting idea and I was never confused about who was who.  Just confused about who to trust, just like Haven was.  I loved the suspense  and finding out who the villain was.  I can't wait for the next book.



  1. Thanks for joining the September Spectacular. Great review!

  2. I'm glad you liked it, that makes me think that I'll probably like it too. I was worrying about all the mixed reviews as well.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva