Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.


I know this one has been around for a little while but I was compelled by the title to read it.  I had my own summer when I turned pretty and I wanted to read about Belly's.  Mine wasn't near as dramatic as hers.  Belly, Steven and their mother had been going to Cousins beach to meet Conrad, Jeremiah, and Susannah at her beach house since before Belly had been born.  And she'd had a crush on Conrad for about as long.  He was of course the dark, moody, silent type.  Jeremiah was the opposite and a buffer between the two of them.  Every summer before,  Belly had always been left out of things, it was always the three guys and her left alone because she was too young.  But this year, things were different.  She was almost sixteen and had turned into a girl instead of just Belly.  Both boys noticed as soon as she got out of the car.  But Conrad was even more unattainable this year and then Belly finds out that Susannah and Mr. Fisher, that's what she'd always called him, were getting a divorce.  And she gets her first boyfriend and she can't understand Conrad's looks at her.  Confessions are made, revelations are made and soon the summer is over.

This is a  quick book to read somewhat lighthearted.  But it deals with some heavy topics, divorce, and the death of a parent.  So I can't really say light reading.  But it doesn't dwell on the fact that a parent may die.  It takes a positive stance and says maybe it won't happen and we'll be back here next year.  The first chapter of the next book is in this book and reveals what happened.  It will make you want to read what happens to Belly the next summer.  I've already placed an order for it.  I read this book for enjoyment and I was entertained.  I was just as confused as Belly as to why Conrad was treating her the way he was.  He seemed to flirt with her and then get a girlfriend just because she had a boyfriend.  I had no idea what was going on with Susannah.  I really loved letting my mind go and being that teenager again.  And remembering my eternal crush.  So I totally recommend this to anyone that wants to reminisce.  There may have been some bad language, but that was about it.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating book -- great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ones that make you think back to your own experiences. I can't say I had any like Belly here, but I can imagine what that would be like. Thanks for the review of this one, I hadn't planned on reading it but now I'm curious:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee- I wouldn't say fascinating. I think I'd call it Chick Lit for YA with a dose of reality. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for the compliment! Sorry I haven't visited in a while!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha--Chick Lit for YA. Love it. And my girl students really enjoy the YA chick lit like Sarah Dessen, Bluford High, that kind of drama-y, romance-y stuff!

    Great review, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva