Monday, January 31, 2011

Tales of the Guardian: Son of Eden by Brianna J Merrill

Son of Eden: Tales of the Guardian (Volume 1)Imagine a moment of unseen intervention on your behalf. What would you do if you discovered invisible beings surrounding you? What if you were the key to their survival? SON OF EDEN introduces a world where unseen beings really do exist, love has no limits, and the realization of one’s self worth is pivotal. Tormented by sadness over her mother’s death, Emily Wallace wonders if life really has any purpose. Her question is answered when she meets Alexander. After transgressing the laws of his kind, Alexander reveals his true nature to Emily and the two find life without one another is not an option. But, forming such a cosmically unique relationship comes with a price. It becomes apparent that some will stop at nothing to ensure an ancient prophecy surrounding these two is never fulfilled. Is the Opposition motivated by knowledge of Alexander’s true identity? Or, are they more concerned with who Emily is destined to become?


I'm having a hard time writing this review.  I really liked this novel.  It was fresh, something different than anything I'd ever read before.  This wasn't about angels, or demons or vampires or werewolves.  It started out as a story about a girl with a nightmare about an accident she'd had in which she should have died.  Instead, she'd been spared.  This same girl had her mother die two years ago from cancer and she'd sort of lost her purpose for living.  That is until she meets Alexander.  He makes her feel alive and happy.  And here is the problem.  I don't want to tell you anymore of the story because it's so unique.  What Alexander is and why he loves her.  And why she loves him.  It's sort of insta love, but not really.  Not like we see in all the other books.

Alexander is her Guardian and has been for two years.  He saved her when she almost when over the side of a cliff into an icy lake to her death.  The accident she keeps dreaming about.  He is constantly at her side, except in private moments, and invisible, until he finally decides to show himself to her and that is when life for her and Alexander changes.  Because as a Guardian, Alexander isn't supposed to be able to feel love.  And yet, he does.  And Emily realizes she loves him too after having spent a few weeks with him, not knowing who he was. When Alexander visits his realm, The Guardian Realm, which is Eden and described in beautiful detail, by the author, the Governing Five question him about his relationship and his feelings.  Some seem to understand, others are skeptical.  But he's not forbidden from showing himself to her (in human form).  And he describes his feelings. None can deny that it is love he feels, though they don't see how.

That's where I'm going to stop.  There is a lot that goes on for a first novel, yet it isn't confusing at all.  The world building is done nicely, completely understandable and  I feel like I know exactly what Alexander's world is like when  he's away from Emily, which is only when he's summoned.  I understand how the Governing Five work, and I understand the Opposition.  The author did a great job of introducing this new world with small bits of information at a time.  As Alexander explained it to Emily, he was explaining it to us.  And then we saw it for ourselves when he was summoned to his world.

The POV of the story is third person but we are really privy to Emily's thoughts and feelings and sometimes Alexander's.  There is another boy Rob, who could be a problem later in the series as he seems to be possessive of Emily, but she never liked him.  Her father, though loving towards her, isn't too well developed yet.  He worries about his daughter but we only know that because Emily says so.  He is an important part of her life and seems to be a good guy.  We will probably learn more about him later.

My only problem with the novel, and its minor, is that there was some awkward phrasing in some parts.  Now because I can't reveal more about the story, I'll say that Alexander is supposed to be just a little older than Emily who is nineteen.  But Alexander is also immortal and  has been around a long time.  Some of this is him and some the author.  I didn't expect him to say things like "I didn't want to toot my own horn."  It's a good expression and I understand it, I'm just not expecting it from my muscular, make my knees weak, hero.
It's just not a phrase I'd expect from this type of character.  Nor would I expect him to "let out a burst of laughter."  I'd expect him to chuckle, laugh loudly, laugh heartily, but not let out a  burst of laughter.
There were a few other things like that, that while didn't take away from the story, left me wondering.  Was it the writer's intention to show his lack of interaction with people. his playfulness or was she just trying not to sound like everyone else?  He certainly didn't make any social faux pas'.  And he was extremely careful of Emily's feelings.  We should all be so lucky!

This is a truly unique story line.  The characters are interesting and the new world is unlike any I've heard described before.  I haven't read the angel books, but like I said, Alexander isn't an angel.  He's a Guardian and he and Emily have a lot to do in the next two books.  I can't wait for the next two books in the series and this was written by a mother of five.  I'm hoping she'll be able to write them before they're in college!

This book was sent to me by the author's agent and in no way influenced my review of the book.  As always I offer a fair and honest review of the novels I read. Oh, and it's very clean.  I don't remember any bad words, no sex and some violence but not terrible.  I've seen worse on cartoons.

Heather in Sandwich

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds intriguing - will have to keep my eye out for it. I'm the same when it comes to wanting my heroes not to burst out loud with laughter, but to instead chuckle. Seems fitting that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and you will see that I asked the author about it in my interview with her. It was intentional and once she explained, it made so much sense. She said she debated leaving it out but didn't want him too perfect. And after she told me the reason behind it I was like "Oh, I should have figured that out." So cut Alex some slack and if you don't get it, email her and ask her why!

    H.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva