Saturday, February 19, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Audio Version Narrated by Sarah Drew

Before I FallSamantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.

I listened to the Audio version of this book using Overdrive Media borrowed from my local library.  It was twelve hours and twenty five minutes long.  Again, Sarah Drew was a great narrator and did an admirable job of experiencing the same day over and over again.  Her voice seemed to fit the character and situation perfectly and her change in voice for different characters was great.

The story practically begins with the death of the main character.  She's reminiscing about the past  through the whole story and trying to figure out why she's living out a ground hog day life existence.  Through the seven days she lives, she watches a different friend die, kisses a teacher, dumps her boyfriend, fights with her best friend and finds out how she and her best friends actions have tormented one girl throughout junior high and then high school.  If there is a God, then there is some amazing character growth that takes place in Sam's "life" in those seven days.  She goes from shallow to what happened to angry to immature to acceptance and in the end a kind of redemption.  I don't think this needs a full review.  I'm probably the last person to read/listen to it.  But I will say again, no tissues were needed.  I was dry eyed and very removed from the character.  No, I am not heartless.  I am extremely sensitive and cry at dog commercials.  So how did I not cry at this?  I just cannot connect to the characters when I'm listening.  Only when I'm reading.  Then I can conjure their faces.  See their actions.  I really tried to visualize, closing my eyes and seeing Juliet and I saw her, but I couldn't feel anything for her.  So once again, I draw the same conclusion, I miss something in listening to the novel rather than reading it.  To be honest, I probably would have avoided this one anyway.

For parents, not suitable for the youngsters.  There is drinking and sex and bad language and of course, death.

Heather in Sandwich



3 comments:

  1. Great review Heather. :)

    although my experiences with audio books is limited, I've never been into regularly trying it. When they implemented audio reading in my high school for one class, I was so bored that I just went ahead and read the book on my own three times (it was a great book actually) because it was just taking so damn long to get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked this one up at the bookstore last night. I'll let you know if I'm able to connect with Juliet in print vs. audio, or if she's just not a relatable character! Thanks for sharing your review.

    (PS - I cry at dog commercials, too. Or any animals, really. Those ones with the sad music and the hurt/abandoned/abused animals get me every time...)

    Erin @ Quitting My Day Job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem with audiobooks. I just cannot immerse myself in the story and characters the same way.

    I still haven't read Before I Fall. I have to admit, I'm reluctant to read it now after having read and not loved Delirium.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva