Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Vivian Gandillon relishes the change, the sweet, fierce ache that carries her from girl to wolf. At sixteen, she is beautiful and strong, and all the young wolves are on her tail. But Vivian still grieves for her dead father; her pack remains leaderless and in disarray, and she feels lost in the suburbs of Maryland. She longs for a normal life. But what is normal for a werewolf?


Then Vivian falls in love with a human, a meat-boy. Aiden is kind and gentle, a welcome relief from the squabbling pack. He's fascinated by magic, and Vivian longs to reveal herself to him. Surely he would understand her and delight in the wonder of her dual nature, not fear her as an ordinary human would.

Vivian's divided loyalties are strained further when a brutal murder threatens to expose the pack. Moving between two worlds, she does not seem to belong in either. What is she really—human or beast? Which tastes sweeter—blood or chocolate?


This is an older werewolf story.  The copyright is 1997, but it doesn't lack for anything just because it's older.  All the elements are there.  The pack has moved to a more suburban area where they really don't belong because they've been burned out of their last home in West Virginia where Vivian lost her father, her mother lost her husband and the pack lost their leader.  The pack is uneasy without a leader and out of control.  In the midst of this, Vivian falls for a meat boy, a human.  Over the course of the summer their romance heats up but the pack all warns her against being with him.  And she questions herself.  Will she hurt him if she loses control?

Then there is the fight for power and an unexpected turn of events that Vivian did not expect nor want.  The new leader is Gabriel and he takes control of the pack with brute strength but also intelligence.  Murders start occuring and someone reports to the police it's the work of a werewolf.  Vivian thinks she is the one betraying her pack in more than one way.  Then, in one awful night, everything changes and she must make a choice that affects the whole pack, but most importantly her.

The conclusion is almost anti-climactic, but there is a lot of tension in the novel with incredible fight scenes that had me leaning forward like I was watching it and holding my breath.  Vivian's choice of whether to be and live as a human or a werewolf is a tough one, but not because of what you're thinking.  This really is a different book than anything out there today.  I think it's a must read for werewolf loving fans.  It's very quick and has it all, violence, sex, romance, drinking, lack of parental supervision.  And for this reason I would be hesitant to call it YA.  A very mature teen would be okay.  Definitely in the seventeen and up range.  It was great, but just had too much of all of that for me to feel comfortable to say it's YA.

Heather in Sandwich

7 comments:

  1. I loved this book. It's a very fast read. I agree it's definitely older YA. If you're thinking about seeing the movie, don't. It doesn't compare at all.

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demitria-

    It would be x rated if they followed the book explicitly. Werewolves do strip before they change and being naked doesn't seem to bother them like it does us. I had a hard time figuring out who the original writer was b/c it looks like it was rewritten. But I loved this. Better than any werewolf book I've read so far. She was probably ahead of her time.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! I think I read it when I was in middle school...so, maybe I was 14? I've reread it a bunch since then. I really like how she chose to end it. I didn't see that coming when I first read it. Have you read ACK's vampire book (The Silver Kiss)? I enjoyed that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya Heather This book sounds just like one I will love. You know I will be looking for it at my library :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia- It should be there. Mine was a library copy (paperback) that I bought from amazon for a dollar. I really recommend it!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small Review- There is the beginning of it in the back of the book and I liked what I read. I thought I might look it up. Glad to hear you liked it. I liked B&C so much I figured I'd like the vampire one too. I'm going to check the library. So you read that at 14? I think I could have read it at 14, but I have boys and my 14 yr old son couldn't handle it. Boys think differently. He'd only concentrate on the sex part and taking of clothes and he'd miss the whole point of the story. It's just the age. I also think it depends on the maturity level of the person reading it. I know some 18 yr olds that couldn't handle it! That's why I say all the objectionable (possibly) material and the reader can decide. Or parent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather not sure if this is the book the movie by the same name is based on but you need to find it and watch, very sensual and dark... I have not read the book but will try to get a copy from Paperback Swap now and see how it stacks up in print to the screen version of the story which I loved!

    Stay warm...

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva