Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Desires of the Dead (Body Finder)The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.
Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

I am having a hard time writing a review for this novel.  It was every bit as good as The Bodyfinder.  All the same characters were there, but the focus was more on the kids this time than the parents.  Chelsea had more "face time" so we got to learn more about her.  Jay and Violet's relationship continued with some major hiccups.  I'd say Jay showed some character growth, showing some more vulnerability where it comes to Violet, and maturity at not forcing things out of her before she's ready to talk.  But I felt like Violet took two steps back.  She was childish, not telling Jay when she got threats, when she felt the echos calling to her.  When she had suspicions.  She lied by omission quite a bit saying she was protecting her family.  And all the time she was putting herself in danger.  I didn't like who she was in this novel.  Instead of being strong, she was stupid and childish, very immature.  I hope she grows up in the next book.

The plot line moved at a fast pace again, barely letting you catch your breath.  Just when I thought it was going one way, it went another and then a curve ball was thrown in and I thought "Hmm, maybe."  I turned out to be wrong, but who knows in a later book.  The suspense was there, the terror, the mystery all there.
The romance was there, too.  It was so good I read late in the night and picked it up first thing the next day.  I love Kimberly Derting's style.  It's sharp and lean.  Not too much description, just enough to let you get a mental image.  The dialogue is great, especially Chelsea.  She's snarky and  funny.  I really loved this book.
I guess my only disappointment was Violet's increasing stupidity as the novel went on.  Everything else was great. I do like where the story line seems to be headed, I just hope the dreaded triangle isn't going to come into play.  Please.

This is a book for older teens as sex is an issue in  this book.  Along with death.


  1. Oh no! Violet sounds very annoying. I hate it when characters act stupidly like that. I spend the whole book yelling at them.

    The way you describe everything else sounds great though and worth putting up with Violet. I hope a love triangle doesn't happen either. I like Violet and Jay together. I would be especially upset though if it was Jay who was torn between Violet and another girl. Jay is too wonderful to do that!

  2. Another great review, as usual. :)

    I didn't realize this was a squeal. I never read the body finder books, but Violet's character sounds very interesting, in the first one at least.

  3. I'm not yet finished since I'm listening to the audio. But what I love most here is the wonderful love and friendship between Jay and Vi. Although I was also mad at Vi from time to time.
    I can't wait to see how it end!

  4. Okay, now that I'm coherent and not trying to type with my eyes closed-

    Small-Violet just seems to take a step back to me. Not annoying but I want to reach in the book and shake her. Or beat her about the head with her own book.

    A.V.- Yes, read the Body Finder first! It is such a great book!! Then this one. If you like YA (young adult) and romance and suspense, well I said it all in my review, you'll love this series.

    Danny- can't wait to see what you think. Let's hope there isn't any of the dreaded cliches.


  5. I just wrote my review of this one today and couldn't agree more! I loved everything but Violet's refusal to speak up and inform those who care about her what's going on. I just didn't understand that. Yes, she doesn't want to involve them or make them worry, but how many times do you have to wander alone into the dark and have bad things happen before you learn not to do it again? Still loved it though:)

  6. Jenny- Completely agree! It's like watching a scary movie and saying don't go into the basement but they do anyway! Apparently she has a rather large learning curve.



This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva