Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Haven by Kristi Cook

HavenOne month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future.

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven.

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first.(From Good Reads)

I almost didn't read this book because of the cover.  The cover gods did not smile on Kristi Cook's debut novel.  But, thankfully, she didn't need it.  Bit's and pieces of this novel reminded me of different parts of other books, but it was unique in it's own way.  I could see where people could see where it reminded them of Twilight, but only slightly.  Or maybe Fallen.  Sort of.  It reminded me most of the Eternal Ones.  But even so, there was a spin on that, something I've never heard of and it would seem an obstacle that would be very hard to overcome.    Violet (a popular name this year) is feeling like a freak because of her visions of things that will happen in the future.  Usually bad things.  No one believes her.  But at Winterhaven, she finds she isn't a rarity.  And she begins to have friends for the first time.  And a boyfriend.  Who blows hot and cold.  And who she starts to have visions about.  And her visions are never wrong. And he tells her something terrible and she avoids him. Then one terrible night, while wandering the streets of Manhattan when she's supposed to be visiting her step mother, she finds herself in the middle of the one vision that has been haunting her since she's met Aidan.  And after that, she has to believe what he's told her, what she's seen.  There is no denying it.

Hope that's enough to whet your appetite.  I can't tell anymore of the story without giving anything away.  I will say that Violet has some friends with interesting abilities and I was glad the author explained them more fully because I didn't know what they were.  Anyone well versed on astral projection?  No, me either.  But the author is good about explaining everything we don't understand.  With some interesting new folklore on a being we know a lot about.  And we get some science lessons.  Yeah, I just kind of let some of the harder stuff float by.  But some of it was really interesting.  And where this story is leading, well, there are a couple of threads, are all incredibly interesting and like nothing I've ever read before.  So, while it might tickle your mind with some memories of other books, it really is fresh and unique and the writing is easy and flows from one chapter to the next. The book is written from Violet's point of view and there is something called "The Aidan Effect" that is really funny to read in action.  It's almost four hundred pages long, but it goes by fast.  There is a little lag time in certain points, but it picks right back up again.  You really won't notice too much. 

I can't recall bad words.  There was some lusting, but no actual descriptions of sex.  A memory of some kind, but I don't know if it could be called sex.  Lots of kissing.  I'd say 13 and up would be fine to read this. 

9 comments:

  1. Nice review Heather!

    The folklore and sciences behind the powers sounds rather interesting to me. You're right, the cover for this book does leave something to be desired. I would have pasted it by if I picked it up in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took this one on and off pre order half a dozen times before I finally decided to read it. I'm glad I did. It was really interesting and the potential for other books is really good!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my story about Thomas. When I write I do submerge mu= myself into the characters and draw from emotions I have experienced to feed their world.Considering how many books you read it was a great compliment you paid. Thank you. I have found the mental health reading challenge which I've joined to - thanks for that too. Shah .X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like this cover! Sometimes I like simple covers and I'm a big butterfly fan. This book sounds great! I can't wait to read it. I've been dying to for so long. I've heard of astral projection. It's really an interesting concept. I like that this book features it. I just read The Prophecy of Sister which also has the astral plane in it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie- I didn't think Prophecy of Sisters explained astral projection very well. At least I didn't know what they were talking about. I couldn't get into that series at all.

    It's just that butterflies had nothing to do with the book. It's like the book designer didn't read the book. Unless it's a hint of things to come.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh I look forward to reading more about "The Aidan Effect"! I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one, I'm really looking forward to it and even with those few lag times you mentioned, it's helpful to know the 400 pages still go by fast:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny-

    I'm beginning to think maybe the butterflies have something to do with "The Aidan Effect" you know butterflies in your stomach. I think you'll like the differences in this one and the very unique twist between the two MC's. They are in quite a pickle as I've heard said growing up.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, this cover does nothing but turn me off. Luckily I've read a bunch of good reviews from bloggers I trust, so I want to read the book despite the bad cover.

    The only thing that worried me a little was the page count, so I'm very glad you mentioned the story moves along well and you don't notice the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the first Prophecy of the Sisters. I heard the second one is meh! Oh well. LOL I like the idea of astral projection. I think it's something different for YA. Drats...the butterfly has nothing to do with the book. Ugh. I was hoping it did! Love butterflies.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva