Monday, February 7, 2011

Talk to Me Tuesday Meme

Talk to Me Tuesday Meme

Talk to Me Tuesday is a brand new weekly meme where we will discuss anything (and everything) literary-related in an open forum of honesty. Questions for the next week will be posted one week prior to the post on the Features page. If you'd like to participate in this weekly feature, simply create your post, link back to me, and add your post to the wonderful Mr. Linky at I Swim For Oceans. Have fun, and have at it!

                      This week's question: What makes a great novel, in your opinion?

I think Melissa answered it all.  But let's see if I can break it down from some of my favorite novels.

  1. Characters-  Have to have well defined characters.  Need to know their motivation behind what they are doing even if you aren't privy to their thoughts.  Wicked Lovely series  You get to know why each character is motivated to do what he or she does Seth-love for Ash, Keenan- I'd like to say selfishness but its for his court etc.  You get the picture
  2. Dialogue-  There must be some talking going on between characters.  They must communicate, not just action all the time.  Sometimes lack of action is communication, but things must be said.
  3. Plot- People can't just run around killing each other or entering rooms for no reason without a formal plot apparent at least to the reader.  There has to be a reason for what is happening in the book.
  4. Action-  People can't just stand around and talk all the time.  Their has to be some action.  Forward movement of the book is brought about by this action.
  5. Character growth- forgot to mention that above.  I like to see my characters grow and discover things about themselves, hidden strengths, depths, intelligences, feelings, weaknesses something about themselves as the novel moves forward.
  6. Taking the Wicked Lovely Series as a whole, I would say that I saw all of that throughout the series.  I am just too jumbled in thought right now to give each book a thorough analysis.

Heather in Sandwich


5 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed the Wicked Lovely series, too :) Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great answers, heather! i love great characters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I agree we need to see characters grow and change :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, especially about character growth. I think that's one of the reasons I love YA so much. YA characters tend to grow across the story much more than adult characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a great novel has characters who are interesting and grow throughout the narrative is most important, but it helps when a novel avoids the dreaded "information dump" on the reader so early on.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva