Monday, March 14, 2011

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.


When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember. (Picture and Summary from Good Reads.)

Okay, I'm not going to say a lot about this because everyone has reviewed it.  I actually read this pretty quickly so it's easy to read.  The author doesn't drag it down with anything unnecessary.  There is a lot of action with great fight scenes and Ellie and Will kick butt a lot.  Those are fun to read and it's so great to see a girl be more powerful a fighter than the boy.  HA!  Loved that about this book.  There were some obvious things left open for the next book and I'm not sure how Ellie is going to graduate when she has zero time to study.  I wasn't impressed with the romance part of it.  Hoping that part will get better in the next book.  And I felt like I didn't know Will at all.  He only revealed something personal about himself once and that was it.  I felt a little cheated.  On the other hand, I feel like I know Ellie really well and thought she took her being a reaper fairly well.  Of course, she did have the memories that were coming back to her.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book.  I thought the writing was great, the plot is good and despite it being a totally new world to me, the author introduced it slowly, explaining each new level of reaper, it's powers and strength.  I never felt lost in the fight scenes.  I always knew what Ellie and Will were fighting and why and what to expect.  The author did such an excellent job of introducing this new world without information dumping.  Other authors could take lessons from her.  The ending was satisfying as you know there are another two books on the way, but there are no cliffhangers.  I think this was an excellent start to a series  with  a whole new type of paranormal monsters!

Heather in Sandwich

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book. I read it some time ago but I'm already itching to read it again :) Which I think is a pretty good sign. I'm hoping to see Courtney this weekend in Chicago!

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. Reading a novel where a girl is more powerful than a guy is rare and it was so much fun to watch Ellie come into her own. The fight scenes were amazing. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book on several peoples reviewed list, but it still doesn't interest me enough to pick it up. I loved your review of it Heather, and, I must admit, girls kicking supernatural but is pretty damn awesome! :D

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mad- Tell Courtney that she does a great fight scene. Someone, I think Kristin at My Bookish Ways, said they were epic and they are! And tell her she builds new worlds like nobody can!
    Awesome job!

    Amber- Isn't it so great! I loved that Will kept telling her she was stronger than him. And man she could fight. I just loved it. I have not seen a girl fight like that in any other YA though Evie from Paranormalcy was a pretty good fighter.

    Kelsa- Yeah, sometimes books just don't call to you. Who knows, in a few years you may be dying to read this one. Then again maybe not.

    Thanks for the comments.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will write this down and let her know :) She will be in chicago on friday night.

    Oh, I also loved the fight scene. I was shocked and surprised that it was even in the middle of the ocean!! (I wont say which one for all of you have not read it.)

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva