Thursday, March 10, 2011

Clarity by Kim Harrington

ClarityWhen you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?

This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?(Picture and summary from GoodReads).

Clarity is a great debut novel by Kim Harrington.  It's set in present day in the fictional town of Eastport on Cape Cod.  This was a fun book for me to read as I live on Cape Cod.  The novel is narrated by 16 year old Clare and it starts out with a bang literally.  The first page will definitely get your attention, but then it slows down a little.  Clare's family business is psychic readings-her brother Perry can talk to ghosts, her mother can read minds, and Clare can hold an object and read the past, sometimes.

Clare is a strong, no nonsense girl who is put in a bad place when a tourist is murdered and her brother is the last one that was with her.  She's asked by the mayor to help the new detective in town because the mayor believes in her skills.  It helps that she used to date his son, Justin before she found out he cheated on her.  One problem though, the new detective doesn't believe in her skills and neither does his cute son who she has to work with.  Add a few more bodies, a couple of run ins with Justin, and  a new psychic in town and Clare has her hands full.

The author's writing style is easy to follow and after you settle into it, the story is a quick and easy one.  I thought I knew who the killer was, but in one way I was wrong, so look for a great plot twist at the end.  There is a love triangle, you've probably already guessed that, but it's handled well and the family bond is strong.  There are a lot of other stories going on along with the main plot that keep this story fresh.  Clare's ex boyfriend, Justin is still in love with her and she's confused about him.  Gabriel, the new detective's son seems attracted to Clare, but dismisses any information she gets using her gifts as good detective work.  He scoffs at her gifts, refusing to believe in her families abilities.  The new psychic in town seems to be able to predict the future, something Clare's family doesn't believe anyone can do.  And she's ruining their family business.  One of the richest men in town is running for mayor against Justin's father, the mayor.  So there's a lot going on in Eastport and it summer on Cape Cod, always a busy time.

I really enjoyed this novel.  It had a little suspense, some romance, some danger and a couple of plot twists that kept it interesting.  I loved the sub plots and how they tied into the main plot.  I also loved the bond between Perry and Clare.  Even though she discovered things about him she didn't know before, Clare still loved Perry enough to find the real killer and he loved her enough to trust her with the truth.  I also loved the honesty of Justin and Gabriel and I loved the set up for the next novel.  I can't wait to read it!

This was a pretty clean read with only some general talk about sex.  I'd say thirteen and up would be fine.


  1. I love mysteries. I've read this book is killer _ no pun intended. LOL I was kind of afraid the book would be similar to Kimberly Derting's books. I like that her family is in the psychic business. That's a cool angle. Plus, the Sheriff's son sounds hot, too! Fab review. I'm definitely checking this one out.

  2. I love how you summarized everything. I was intruiged about this book. The book art must of been it but now you have me looking forward to it.

    Mad Scientist

  3. Great review Heather! Loving the plot for this book. I've only read one book before with psychic powers as a theme and it was terrible, but this one sounds great! :)


  4. Julie- Not quite as intense as Kimberly Derting's books. Much lighter read. It's very up in the air which boy she likes better and there is a cryptic message at the end.

    Dear Ms. Kelsa- Not hokey at all. This family is the real deal and it's cool to see how it works. Let's just say Clare can see more than her customer's might want her to and she sometimes has trouble with her temper!

    I'll be over to visit tomorrow.

    Julie, I can't seem to fix the link on my blog roll for your new web site. I'll work on it tomorrow.

    Heather in the land of tourists (soon)

    You must find out what a tourist tuxedo is!!

  5. Thanks Mad! I had lost my ability to review so I worked very hard on this one. Glad you liked it!


  6. So glad you loved this one too Heather! I loved the bond between Perry and Clare as well, it was so nice to see family play a bigger role and be just as prominent as the romance aspect. I thought I knew who the killer was too and then she led me astray and I ended up being surprised:) Can't wait for the next one!

  7. Jenny-

    I was glad I was surprised at who the killer was. I didn't want it to be that simple to figure out. I can't wait for the next one either. She has a nice light reading style and the bond between brother and sister, I don't recall seeing that in anything I've read recently. It was really sweet.

    Heather on Cape Cod!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva