Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hex A Witch and Angel Story by Ramona Wray

Hex, A Witch and Angel TaleLike most girls at Rosemound High School, seventeen-year-old Lily Crane is acutely aware of Ryder Kingscott. Hands down the cutest guy in school, Ryder is cool, mysterious, and utterly untouchable…especially for Lily. For when she touches someone, Lily instantly learns all about their lives. And while such a skill might seem nifty, in truth it is wrecking Lily’s life. So she is shocked when Ryder asks her out — and even more shocked to discover he has a rival. Lucian Bell is the gorgeous new kid who can’t take his eyes off of Lily. Being pursued by two hotties should make a girl happy, but Lily is skeptical. The boys act as if they’ve met before, hating each other with a passion that could only be rooted in a dark, dangerous past. A past full of terrible secrets. The kind of secrets that could get a girl killed. (Picture and Summary from GoodReads)

I read a couple of chapters on line and loved the way the two main characters Lily and Ryder interacted with each other. A little snarky, step back, watch, advance, it was like a dance and it was so fun to watch. But then Lucian Bell enters the picture and everything goes awry. The romance between Lily and Ryder suddenly becomes urgent and Lucian is everywhere Lily is, rescuing her even when some mean girls are in the bathroom talking trash about her knowing she's in there. Lucian knocks on the girl's bathroom door and asks one girl out then tells her she's too fat unless she can lose ten pounds by Friday and does the same to the other girl. They both run out crying. It's about the only time I liked him. Now I don't mind jealousy or love triangles done correctly. But Lily isn't clued in until way late in the game and therefore we aren't either. Oh, and did I mention Lily's painful talent that when she touches anyone but Ryder, she goes into spasms and her head feels like it's going to explode and she can see the person's past and future. Kind of makes dating hard until Ryder comes along.

Anyway, the plot is moving along nicely, the characters all fleshed out we don't know who is good and who is bad but we know one is and we know who we like definitely. Then Lily starts getting different pieces of the puzzle. And tries to make them fit. The story is told from her point of view, which is enjoyable most of the time because she's got a wicked sense of humor and some seriously sexy thoughts about Ryder. However, some of her inner self talk had me confused and I had to stop and try to figure out how that went with the rest of the story.  Ramona Wray is a great writer. Snappy comebacks and witty inner dialogue, but I just kept being led off track. There was just too much sometimes. It was funny, but too much.


I couldn't see how my favorite MC's would get out of this one but Ramona Wray wrote a good ending. She showed some major character growth in the villain at the very end and everything wrapped up nicely. I don't see a sequel coming out of this one, but the characters were fun and it was a nice light read.
 
Heather in Sandwich

9 comments:

  1. I don't know where I saw this, but it looked interesting to me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm glad to see you featured the cover! Love covers and looking at them! I'm a cover nut! LOL I've read very positive things about this book. Wish it was available on Kindle. Sorry to hear you were led off track. Can't stand that in books! Fab honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing this one around a lot lately and it looks cute. Not sure if I'm ready for another love triangle situation, but I love a snarky main character and that may just be enough to make me forget the triangle:) Nice review Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Najela- It wasn't as cute as the cover leads you to believe. It really had a story there.

    Julie- I love covers too. Especially this pink one. And I love red haired witches! I don't like the fact that this one looks so comical or cutesy. The story isn't like that at all.

    Jenny- The love triangle is not insta love. I can assure you, it is part of the plot. If it weren't there, there would be no story. And yes she's snarky both verbally and mentally. No shrinking violet.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of the main character. I also like how you described the ending. A villain that grows is something I can appreciate. I'm curious about this one. Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot about this book recently and it sounds like a good one! Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Small- It's PINK! Can't be too bad. Right?

    Brittany- It was fun! You should try it. It's heavy on romance, but clean romance. Thanks for stopping by!

    Heather in Sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen or heard of this one before. Another good book to have on my radar. Unusal at least. LOL!

    It's been a crazy time. Everyone in my fam was going to the hospital for some crazy reason or another. Then my uncle died. A super crazy sad month. I hope it will all be better. *hugs*

    Thanks for missing me,
    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mad-

    You have been sorely missed. The blogosphere is not the same without you. I am so sorry about your uncle. I will send healing thought your way. Missing your wit!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva