Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1)Nastasya has spent the last century living as a spoiled, drugged-out party girl. She feels nothing and cares for no one. But when she witnesses her best friend, a Dark Immortal, torture a human, she realizes something's got to change. She seeks refuge at a rehab for wayward immortals, where she meets the gorgeous, undeniably sexy Reyn, who seems inexplicably linked to her past.


Nastasya finally begins to deal with life, and even feels safe--until the night she learns that someone wants her
dead.


I don't know where this book has been hiding but I'm so glad I found it! This is a book about Immortals. Those seem to be popping up in my hands a lot lately. But this had an incredible mythology surrounding it and there is light and dark and these Immortals have Magick. That's the dark and the light- bad and good magick. That's how the story starts with bad magick. Nastaysa is with the usual crowd, drunk and headed to the next party. They fall out of the cab laughing while the cab driver yells at them and then she watches almost spellbound as her friend Incy crushes the man's spine with dark magick and leaves him dying in the street. And Nasty, as they call her, is horrified but can't do anything about it, so she leaves him in the street and gets drunk to try to forget. The next day she's running from her friends trying to make sure she gets as far away from them as possible. She remembers a woman telling her it didn't have to be this way, another Immortal.


Fast Forward, Nasty is basically doing hard labor and working on being a good girl. But she's having to relive the pain that she was running from. Some horrible things she's hidden away. And there's Reyn who seems so familiar to her and not in a good way. And Nell who hates her because of Reyn. And circles and star walks, and a job and crystals and scrying and it's almost more than a girl can handle.

Nasty is funny. She knows she's lived like a total brat and even a sociopath at times not caring about the human world and she admits it. She has finally had enough of that lifestyle and runs away. She finds the sanctuary she's looking for only it's a working farm and she has to actually work. The novel is written from her point of view and she actually talks to us the readers. She always forgets her gloves, working in the garden, picking up walnuts, washing dishes (say it together now, of course) is one of the ways she brings us into the story. I read that she was whiny, but I don't think so at all. She's incredibly self aware. And if you want to see character growth she grows by leaps and bounds.

The story between her and Reyn is heartbreaking. The both have reason to hate each other though I believe hers is stronger. And yet they are attracted to each other. A conundrum to say the least. Then there's the underlying story of Incy and company coming to look for her. She's scared of him now. She's hiding from him. But someone at River's Edge, her sanctuary, wants her dead and has hexed her room and bed to kill her.

Through flashbacks we learn about Nasty's life as a child and some of the things she's been through. She's almost 500 years old has been through and seen a lot. I'm hoping the next book reveals more history in it. A few of the characters are fleshed out, but I really only felt like I knew Nasty and River the best. We only begin to start seeing Reyn towards the very end of the novel. But I think the other characters will become more fleshed out in the next book.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds like such a fun read. Immortals who party their life away and then go to Immortal Rehab? I'm all over it! I'll have to find a copy for myself. Thank you for sharing :)

    Lilly Bear @ BookLungs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly Bear- Seriously, it was more funny than anything because Nasty had the best comments and inner dialogue going on! I think on Amazon you can read the first few chapters. That's what hooked me and that's the serious part!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Heather. I like her name. Nasty. It just makes me laugh. LOL The theme for Immortals has been getting very popular lately. I'm glad you liked it so much! :)

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - so many books so little time. Great review - i'll take a look ! Shah. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book, but haven't read it. Great review - I think I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva