Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Darling Rebels by Siobhan Nichols Diversion Press Blog Tour

The Darling Rebels

Diversion Press, Inc.
251 pages

When Charlotte returns to her hometown of Asebrook from boarding school, she knows what she can expect from her days--lessons from tutors, criticism from her mother, and listening to the same gossip from the same people. But there seems to be something different in store for Charlotte when she meets Adam and Jack, the two boys who will change her forever. However, when Jack and Charlotte fall in love, they realize the fight that they are going to have to put up if they want to be together. During a time when money, society, and how one is viewed as everything, Charlotte stops at nothing to be with the boy that she knows she loves. Even so, Jack seems unwilling to sacrifice her future and happiness since he knows he has nothing to offer. The Darling Rebels tells the story of bravery and resilience in the face of insurmountable odds and how far one girl will go for love, even if it means leaving her seemingly perfect life behind.

The Darling Rebels is set in the 1890's and I'll let you know right from the start that there are quite a few inconsistencies as regards to behavior and consequences and society overall in it.  The author herself admits this is true and says she wondered if she'd slept through that part of history class.  Though, she did have editors that let all of it slip through as well so...  And still I read the book from beginning to end and it was absolutely heartbreaking.

Charlotte, a girl of means and high society, has come home from the Tisdale Academy for Girls which sounds rather grim, drained of color and focusing on teaching young girls to be proper ladies.  Charlotte has no intentions of going back.  But her mother, a formidable woman (picture Mrs. Olsen from Little House on the Prairie but never smiling and always getting her way, never approving), is the one who will decide Charlotte's future.  Her father, a doctor, is a workaholic, or so it seems, but perhaps it has something to do with his wife.  He indulges Charlotte whenever he can.  Her mother arranges tutors for her all summer long, but every chance she gets, she escapes to the forest where she's always felt more at home.  She makes friends with a boy named Adam, just a common boy who helps her when she falls out of a tree.  And from there her life changes completely.

Adam is good looking, always looking for adventure and courting Charlotte's best friend, Lucy.  But it doesn't stop him from going around town and into the woods with Charlotte.  Lucy comes from less money than Charlotte yet her parents welcome Adam as a suitor-despite the fact that he seems to be just above poor and his mother is a single mom, something that would seem to be scandalous at that time in our history.  Or, that was the impression I got.  This was one of the things that bothered me about the novel.  But, Adam has a good heart and his intentions toward Charlotte end up being supportive, though his adventuresome nature gets her into some troubles.  The first and probably most adventurous is her introduction to Jack.

Jack and Charlotte hit it off right away despite the rumors that he is dangerous despite the fact that he lives in a cave in the forest, despite the fact that everyone hate him.  Charlotte doesn't care what society thinks only what he thinks of her.  Again, things that occur between them seem too improbable to have happened in the 1890's, but if you can forget it's the 1890's its still an enjoyable and tender love story.

However, I never saw the ending coming.  And I bawled like a baby through the last third of the book.  Do you know how hard it is to sob quietly at 2 am in the morning?  I kept having to remove my glasses, wipe my eyes, read a few lines and do the process all over again.  That part was so gut wrenching that I asked the author if she'd been through something like that or if she had that good of an imagination.  It was pure imagination.  Somewhere along the line, I got completely emotionally invested in the characters in the book and when the end came, I felt as devastated as the characters did.   At least I felt like I did.

So, to sum it up, if you can take it out of the 1890's and read it as a love story and a story about a girl who didn't judge people by status but by character, then it's a great story.  I think if it were rewritten and set in today's time period, the message would still be the same and as clear.  There will always be people who judge by status and wealth rather than by character and there will be those who seem rebellious for not judging people that way.

Heather in Sandwich


  1. Great review Heather. I love it when a story gets me emotionally invested. The time funk you mentioned, some things not quite meeting the time period mark - would piss me off to read about. That's happened in a couple of books that I've read before and it so aggravating.

    I like the sound of the developing plot that you mentioned. It sounds really good! I'll have to plan on not reading the last half in public if its such a hard-hitting tear-jerker.

    Great job!


  2. Kelsa-

    You really don't want to read this one in public. At least not the last third. Or people will look at you like you're crazy. I swear to God, I wanted to put the book down and bury my face in the pillow! Siobahn says she does angst real well. I'll say!


  3. There will always be people who judge by status and wealth rather than by character and there will be those who seem rebellious for not judging people that way.

    Oh I like that. I don't like crying tho. :( I'd have to think about it. Great review!

  4. Thanks Melissa, I grew up with people like that so I know them very well. However, I wasn't rebellious outwardly.

    I don't like crying, but you know how sometimes you need a good one this is your go to book! It's a pretty quick read and you'll probably have to put it down and bury your face at some point in the last third. So...even if I told you the ending, it wouldn't have the same effect as reading it. You have to know the characters and you really do get to know them.


  5. A book that can get to you enough to make you cry is definitely worth something. I think most people don't like crying (the headaches, the stuffiness, the tissues...), but you are right, every now and then you need one. And it's always good if it's related to a fictional tale instead of your own! Great review!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva