Thursday, June 9, 2011

Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen

The Vampire StalkerVampire Stalker                       
Allison van Diepen
Point Publishing
June 2011
237 pages
$17.99






This is probably one of the shortest reviews I've done lately.  And it's simply because this novel, while okay, wasn't that special.  It had the potential, but it just didn't quite make it.


Amy is in love with a fictional character from her favorite series Otherworld. (Who hasn't been there?)  He's the less popular of the male characters, Alexander Banks. But one night, when she finds herself attacked extremely violently she looks into the face of her rescuer and it's Alexander Banks.  She gives him a place to stay for a few days with her mother and sister and her and tries to believe what's before her eyes.  It's like a dream come true!  The nightmare though is that Alexander followed a vicious vampire named Vigo into Amy's world.


I like Amy.  But that's all.  I didn't feel her friendships.  I didn't feel her sister's animosity.  I didn't feel Amy's anger towards her father.  And I really didn't feel the relationship between her and Alexander.  However, I'm trying to keep in mind they she knew  him already through the book.  He however did not and is trying to "court" her as they did back in his time/world.  Still, they felt shallow and the relationship happened too fast.


It was a great idea and the way Alexander's presence was explained made perfect sense.  It just all felt flat to me.  There was no spark, no tension, even where there should have been, no feeling from me while I read.  Maybe the novel needed to be longer.  That way, the characters could have been more developed, had more time together to show their relationships.  I was really excited about reading this one.  I had imagined a girl, late at night seeing a character step out of the pages of a book, maybe in a bookstore, and disappear into the night with her following discreetly. But, no such luck.  And I was left disappointed in general with the book.


Heather in Sandwich

6 comments:

  1. There's been a trend lately where a lot of writers come up with awesome ideas, but then they can't carry them out. The idea of a character coming from a book is awesome! But like you said, it all fell flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, too bad it fell flat. I still want to read this one, but my expectations are for a 3-3.5 star read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're pretty much on the same page with this one Heather! I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't blow me away by any stretch and I actually had to look up the character's names again once I went to write my review because I didn't remember them. It'd be a good rainy-day read when you're not looking for anything epic:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah- Yeah, it's an awesome premise, just not an awesome presentation.

    Small-yeah, maybe a 3.

    Jenny- That's what I wrote on your review. I was in complete agreement with you. She had such a great idea. Just didn't pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Review. I wanted this book. Sorry to hear that this book was not that good. Glad to know that it wasn't good. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think this would be appropriate for an 11 year old girl? One of my library girls is interested in it.

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva