Sunday, July 17, 2011

Passion by Lauren Kate

Passion A Fallen Novel
By Lauren Kate
Delacorte Press
June 2011
420 pages

"Every single lifetime, I'll choose you. Just as you have chosen me. Forever."

Luce would die for Daniel. And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .

Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.


Whew! This was a big book. Not in number of pages. Four hundred page plus books are common enough. But the amount of information and the time covered and the discoveries and I think the depth of what Luce discovers is huge in this book. I finished this book back in June. Probably a day or two after I got it. But it's taken this long for me to settle down and understand everything I learned and read in Passion.

First, the facts. I think Lauren Kate did an excellent job keeping the reader, me, straight on exactly which Luce was which and what was going on. More importantly she let me know why it was that we as the reader had to experience this book to get to the final chapter in Daniel and Luce's story. I love Lauren Kate's style of storytelling. It's easy to read. Not gussied, (yes gussied) up with a lot of unnecessary prose. It's enough to tell us where the characters are and enough to lend us a sense of time, place, and mood.

We know from Torment that Luce is traveling back in time through the Announcers to her past lives to know her story. But she discovers a lot more than that. And Luce finally is independent of Daniel in this one. She's practically running through time, not even knowing where she's going as she knows nothing of her past and Daniel knows that their meeting each other in the past could mess things up in the future which he wants to prevent. So he's running headlong after her, but he doesn't want to meet her either. Imagine the past and all the things she could run into and find herself in dire straits. Not to mention that others are searching for her through the Announcers. Wars, plagues, famine, she could even land in the middle of an ocean or on the Titanic. She really has no way of knowing where she'll end up. It's a kind of stupid, half thought out Luce move, but considering what happened at the end of Torment, I'd be right there with her. It's an interesting trip through history, I have no idea how historically accurate it is, but it is meticulous as far as Daniel and Luce's story goes.

We see their story through Luce's eyes, but also from Daniel's eyes. And we find out a terrifying plan at the end that sets up the last book in the Fallen series called Rapture. I can't tell if there will be an HEA for Daniel and Luce or not. I'll be disappointed if they don't get one. When I Wikied Rapture for the biblical term it didn't give me any clue as to how the next book is going to go so, I guess I'll have to wait. Patiently. I don't need to Wiki that one. I know I'm not good at it. Ms. Kate wouldn't you love to send me an ARC of Rapture? Fallen will probably always be my favorite because it was one of my first YA books I read. Way before I started blogging. In fact, it led me to blogging, looking for more books like it. But Passion isn't far behind. I'm awed by Lauren Kate's ability to keep such an epic story together without mixing up the facts of the story after having already written two epic books. This one, is amazing. Take your time reading it and enjoy it!



  1. It's funny, this was a book I was DYING for, then I got it and I haven't even read it! I'm just in this mode where I'm wanting light summery reads and your review kind of confirmed that this one is heavier. So I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer until I'm sick of reading light summery reads (and the review books that I MUST read). And I guess the wait for the next one will just be shorter. ;)

  2. Okay, I haven't read Torment so I only read the last few sentences to see what you thought overall and it seems like you loved it so I'm looking forward to getting caught up!

  3. Candace- Not a light summery read. But none of this series has ever been light. It's always had a kind of dark heavy pall to it. IMHO

    Jenny- You have to read Torment first. You won't understand who some people are or why Luce is doing what she's doing or even what she is doing. Yes, catch up! And I did love it. I know some people don't like this series, but it's always been a favorite of mine. It will always hold a special place in my heart and on my book shelf!!


  4. I have um'd and ah'd about this series. I might just take a look. Trouble is I'm up to my eyes (or rather kindle is) in books I've yet to read. I can't keep up with all the fabulous recommendations I read on the book-blogs everywhere! ;D Hey Heather! Hope you're doing okay. Shah. X

  5. I really enjoyed this one. I'm a fan of the series, which you already know. I love the way things unfolded and how Luce learned important lessons along the way among other things.

    I still need to write my review so I only read the end of yours to see if you liked it or not :o]

    So glad you did!

  6. I just skimmed your review since I haven't started the series yet. My cousin has read up to Passion and she has told me that its pretty good. It's one series I do want to read in the future.

  7. Shah- Sorry about the blog hops this week. The unpacking has zapped my creativity. I'll be back this week. And yeah, I'm good. No worries.

    Book Faery- We talked you know I love this series. I don't think Lauren Kate could do anything wrong. It's all up to the last book now. This one was very much needed in the series. It was something Luce needed to do. And I'm glad we got to see it.

    Jenny N.- Definitely don't read any reviews of the books other than Fallen if you haven't read it. But I highly recommend this series. It isn't light reading. It's dark, but it's good.

    Thanks for the comments!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva