Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

By Jeri Smith-Ready
Simon Pulse
Available Now
367 pages

Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.

I loved Shade!  So naturally, I couldn't wait for Shift to come out!  I dove right in when it came and then in the shuffle of moving and all of that Shift got lost among the clutter of books surrounding my bed and packed up with my treasured YA books that I didn't trust the moving company with.  So it took a while for me to find it again.  And it sat here with a couple of dozen other books needing to be read.  But then the YA Crush Tourney came about and Zachary and Aura and yes even Logan called to me.  So I picked Shift up and started right where I left off and was instantly in the story again.

I love Jeri Smith-Ready's characters.  They all have a serious side, but seem to be able to make a joke even at the worst of times.  And they show their vulnerability.  Aura had the worst of it in the last book, but in this one too, she gets a hard time.  And she admits that she was hurt.  Zachary still has to fight for Aura against the ghost of Logan.  Hard to do when he's still hanging around!  And then there is Logan.  He's such an enigma.  Do ghosts have feelings?  Can he still love Aura?  Or is it just memories of what they had?

But there is plot and plot drives this one very quickly.  Always at their backs, Aura, Logan and Zachary have the DMP.  And Aura and Zachary are afraid they will find out their secret.  Logan knows and ghosts can't lie.  What if he tells them?  And something weird happens with Logan while he's with Aura.  Something impossible.  We get a lot of information about Aura's past in this sequel and the plot, especially the last half, is full of chases, surprise clues to Aura's past, and some very sexy love scenes.  Had me blushing!  That last half goes by so fast feels like you've only been reading an hour or so.  Maybe that was all I was reading.  I don't know I'm just glad there's a third book!  

The characters were just as full and entertaining as before.  I was yelling at some and pulling my hair out at the antics of others.  And "as the plot thickened" as they say, I swear I was jumping up and down encouraging my two favorite characters.

If Shade was good, Shift was even better.  I've been told that the second book is harder to write, but you couldn't tell it by Shift.  It's a terrific sequel and surpasses Shade.  Just waiting for Shine....

Anxiously waiting




  1. Awesome review! I really enjoyed this book too. It was entertaining and fast paced. I hope you like Shift as much :)

  2. This does sound like a series I would like. Glad to hear that book 2 is even better than the first - that's kinda rare!

  3. I jsut finished this last night (or early this morning, whatever) and I loved it so much that I wishing the third one available -RIGHT NOW! Oh my goodness, it was so easy to get swept up in the story and the characters and love them all - even though I was afraid Logan was going to mess everything up. Aaahh, but by the end I really did want him to be at peace. I'm so glad that I gave this series a chance. It was all of the blogger love and gushing that did it!

    So now just another year to see what happens, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

  4. I really love this series too Heather! Her characters had me all over the emotional map, I was a mess while reading:) Logan is fascinating, there are times he's just so selfish and inconsiderate and then all of a sudden he'll do or say something and I'm like I LOVE YOU LOGAN! Fickle, thy name is Jenny:)

  5. Nic- I reviewed Shift and yes I LOVED it!

    Book Sake- It's got a lot of romance in it so I don't know if you'll like it, but the bigger story is the mystery.

    Actin' Up- I'm so glad you loved it! I hope you looked at the teasers on Jeri's blog! There are some great ones for Shine!

    Jenny- I know right! I was like just leave already! Then he'd be sweet and I thought "OH, he understands." Then the thing happened and I was afraid he'd stay forever. I wanted him to have some peace. I'm not sure what will happen in Shine.

    Thanks for the comments!

  6. awesome review, heather!! i haven't had a chance to read this series yet.

  7. Carrie-

    You are missing out! Mystery and romance in YA at it's best and definitely unique! Great characters, fast read. What are you waiting for??


  8. ACK! This is a series I'm so wanting to just devour! Stop eet! You are making me want it more! ;) Which of course means your review was brilly!

  9. Aw Shucks Melissa! You make me blush! But I am telling you and I've got back up, this is an awesome series! You need to read it! It's got a boy/man in a kilt! What more do you need to entice you???


  10. I absolutely loved Shade so I am excited to read this!! =D I am so happier to hear that you loved Shift even more! =D YAY!

  11. I just skimmed your review b/c I still haven't read the first one, but sounds great. I like that the characters have both serious and funny sides. It's nice to incorporate humor into a serious book.

  12. Yeah, I'm one of the few that has yet to read Shade, or start this series, but I'm sold based on your review...it sounds SO good! :)

  13. I haven't read this series yet, but Zack is a legend now!

    Team Kilt! LOL

  14. I love both Shift and Shade and am now waiting for the next book and seeing how it will all end.

  15. Bailey- Shift is, as you can tell from my review, awesome! I especially loved the "river scene"!

    Alison, Melissa, Missie- Definitely worth putting on your soon to read list!

    Jenny N.- Did you look at the Shine teasers? And she picked the boy that played Neville Longbottom as her guy for Zachary. Once he got his teeth fixed he looks hot! She also has some great Scottish music bands on her blog. Check out Scared Rabbit-Scottish Winds!

    Thank you everyone for commenting! It means so much to me!



This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva