Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Waterfall Wednesday

First, I'd like to laugh at the 1-6 Chapters!! Anyone that can start Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren and read only the first six chapters for this challenge and put the book down, no matter what time of night it is has the most willpower of anyone I've ever met, or the least curiosity. I was hooked right from the start. I haven't quite finished it, but I started it in the car rider's line and fell asleep after school reading it then stayed up until two reading it. Got up this morning, did NOTHING, except read and I plan to read in the car rider line again then finish when I get home. Wait, I did verify that all my books are here, even if they are hard to find. So no lost boxes of books. Clothes are missing. Lots of them, but there are still boxes.

So my answers to the questions to this fabulous book which by the way, I'll be picking up the other two as soon as possible. Answers, yes okay here we go!

Discussion Questions for Chapters 1-6

1. Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, shes depressed, a little angry and is dealing with feelings of loneliness. Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel? Do you see things you like or dislike?

I think Gabi is taking for granted the fact that she gets to spend her summer in Italy at an archaeological dig. She is seventeen so maybe if she acted a little more grown up, her mother might let the girls hang out in town while she's working. I can understand the depression, missing her dad. There's no set time for grieving the loss of someone. I've never been in a foreign country so I don't know how lonely I'd feel, but she probably wants a normal teenage life. She's definitely strong willed and minded when she travels in time so she's probably that way in her own time. That might be why she doesn't have a boyfriend. I like her, but she's the total opposite of me so identifying with her is hard. (I love the fact that she keeps her own slang and all when she talks to herself! Like when she's talking about Lady Rossi when Lady Rossi keeps touching her chest when she talks to Marcello and Gabi thinks "Oh please,...that's a trampy way to get him to pay attention to you." (p.41).

2. Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy- The Dark Ages in its prime. Is there anytime in history that fascinates you and would you travel back if you could?

The Renaissance, especially in Italy. So much beautiful art, poetry, music, of course, I'd like to be taken in by a rich family, not a farmer!!

3. Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place. Gabi gets manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if shes a witch. The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls. What do you think of mens mentality back then? Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded?

Gentlemanly. It's really the women's fault for not showing the men what they can do. They hide behind their dresses and feebleness, but even Lady Rossi could climb the cliffs in her time of need without ropes and in a dress and slippers!

4. When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her. Many judge her by her difference. Do you think this is fair? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or that others were misjudging you?

I think Gabi is definitely an odd duck and it's okay that they judge her in the beginning. But for the most part, she turns people's opinion around. Character shows a lot about someone even if they have odd ways about them. And no, it's not fair. People should not be judged by their looks or differences. And yes, I always feel like an outsider, like there was a secret party where I didn't get an invitation to come. But, the older I get, the less it bothers me. Or else I just avoid the people that make me feel that way. And no it isn't fair, but I've decided that's their problem, not mine.

5. What do think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages? What would be the worst?

The coolest thing about living in the Dark Ages would be living it. I mean really finding out what it was like and seeing history in the making. I hope I would remember enough about it that I would be able to stay out of trouble!

The worst, no bathrooms and no medicine!


  1. The time traveling question is really turning out to be my favorite because everyone has such different response. I think you're right about visiting the Renaissance period. It would have been awesome. And I feel the same about Gabi taking for granted how she gets to be in Italy for the summer, but in a why you can totally understand why she feels like she does.

    Great responses, Heather.

  2. I agree about the men just being gentlemen. I don't think most of them mean any disrespect to women and really are trying to protect them. Great answers :)

  3. I definitely could not stop at just 6 chapters with this one either Heather, it was impossible for me:) So glad you're enjoying it! The Renaissance would be been unbelievable I think - all the art and everything just like you said would be unfathomable. The lack of bathrooms and medicine are huge problems though, ones that would make me want to come back to this time:)

  4. hahaa, no, I don't see how anyone could stop at just six chapters! I love your answers. I agree with you and Nic about the men. You're so right about Romana. She wasn't totally incapable. I like how the men, for the most part, all embraced Gabi for her strengths.

  5. I could not agree more with your 1st answer! Much as it may be hard to identify with is certainly not hard to like and admire her!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

  6. haha, I'm one of the odd ones: I made myself stop at the end of Chapter 6...I knew I had to get up earlier in the morning, and I'm currently trying to decide if I should torture myself by following the reading/discussion schedule or just give in and read...I'm torn in both directions, eek!

  7. I couldn't put it down either! There was no way that I was going to only read 6 chapters and put the book down until next time! ha! Great answers to the questions!

  8. Hey, thanks so much for taking part in WW and for your great answers. I, of course, ADORE that you couldn't stop at Ch. 6. That's the goal of an author--to get readers hooked and keep 'em reading. The Renaissance would be utterly fascinating...the world changing, so quickly, so radically. I'd make that time leap with you, friend, anytime. See you next week!

  9. I had to read ahead because this next week I'm working 12hr shifts, not sure I'll have much reading time, except for the commute. I'm at a place now where I really don't want to put the book down!

    Great answers, the medicinal absence you bring up makes me think of the way diseases were treated in these times. Then the first thought which comes to mind is - LEECHES!!! Oh, no how scary would that be!

  10. Once I got started, the book became hard to put down. I had to make myself stop after chapter 11 and even then, peeked ahead. I also like reading Gabi's thoughts.

  11. Completely agree with it being impossible to read only chapters 1-6. Good thing this time I'm rereading it so I can stick with the pace.

  12. Lack of medicine would REALLY bother me! I woke up with a headache this morning and if I didn't have access to meds...I would cry :(

  13. Thanks for Joining us this week!1 I loved reading your answers and Im with you on the no medicine, how scary and awful!!

  14. I would love to see the Renaissance and all that beautiful art! I agree, it would be cool to really experience history instead of having to learn about it second hand from a textbook.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva