Monday, September 26, 2011

Damage by Anya Parrish



There was a time when I prayed for Rachel to be real. Until the night I learned she'd always planned to kill me.

When Dani was eight, she fell from a building. No one believed her claim that she was pushed by Rachel . . . her imaginary friend. It took years of therapy to convince Dani that Rachel wasn't real.

Now fifteen, Dani wants to make it as a dancer. But a deadly freak accident sends Dani a terrifying message: Rachel is back, she's real, and she'll stop at nothing to kill Dani.

Complicating matters is Jesse, the school bad boy who's being stalked by his own invisible childhood nemesis. Dani and Jesse join forces to learn why their astral tormenters are back. Their investigation leads to a horrifying discovery—and the terrible experiment that binds them to each other.

Damage is a creepy psychological thriller that will have you wondering about your own sanity when you finish it.  After reading  the prologue (always read the prologue), you will definitely be intrigued but wonder if what you read was just the dreams of a sick child, maybe brought on by fever or drugs or if it really happened like she said it did.  Maybe she wandered up there in a drug induced haze and jumped.  Keep reading!


The day of the school field trip starts out ordinary and turns into a terror filled sprint for their lives as Dani and Jesse find that they have a lot more in common than a shared seat on the bus.  As they struggle to make sense of the day and avoid their childhood make believe "friends" who are no more make believe now than they were when they were children, they become drawn to each other.  Not insta love, maybe life or death situations bring them together, especially as they find they can trust no one, not even family.  Or maybe it's something else even more elemental than that. Keep reading!  Ever chapter gets even better than the last!


This novel had me on the edge of my seat in the couple of hours it took for me to read it, trying to figure out what was going on.  I mean, I understood what was happening, but I needed to know why, and how and more importantly, were my childhood monsters going to come to life and come after me??  This was an incredible read!  It was fun and scary and a psychological thrill ride like I haven't experienced in YA before.  And the cliff hanger ending did not help!  I so wanted 200 pages more.  Even then I may not have been satisfied!  Anya Parrish's writing style is easy to read and the terror and plot she delivers is believable and intricate, like a black widow spider in her web, waiting to trap us.  You do not want to miss this one!  I'm hoping for a sequel that's just as thrilling.  It's great to find such a fresh new voice and chilling idea in the paranormal world of YA!




Heather

5 comments:

  1. I love a book that has me questioning whether or not I can believe what I'm reading! And wanting another 200 pages when you reach the end is always a good sign, so I think I need to give this one a try. Awesome review Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! You will definitely be questioning reality with this one. And looking around the room at every sound!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this sounds really good! I'm adding this one to my TBR list! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful when a book leaves you wanting pages and pages more. There aren't enough well-written psychological thrillers in YA. I'll have to look out for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm edge of your seat, sounds good. I do love reading YA thrillers when I can find them - too few and far between!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva