Friday, September 30, 2011

Jenny Pox by JL Bryan



Jenny has a secret. Her touch spreads a supernatural plague.

She devotes her life to avoiding contact with people, until her senior year of high school, when she meets the one boy she can touch, and she falls in love.

But there's a problem--he's under the spell of his devious girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

Now Jenny must learn to use the deadly "Jenny pox" she's fought her entire life to hide, or be destroyed by Ashleigh's ruthless plans.

Not recommended for readers under sixteen due to mature content.


You've probably already heard of the third book in this series, Alexander Death. It just recently released and I reviewed it here.
Jenny Pox is the first book in the series and is a great beginning to it.


Jenny has a terrible disease that keeps her from being able to touch people.  If she does, they could die.  JL Bryan does a great job in showing just how lonely and depressing life is for Jenny.  She wears gloves to avoid contact with others for their protection not hers, yet she's ridiculed and picked on, friendless.  All thanks to one girl-Ashleigh Goodling.  


While Jenny can't touch anyone, Ashleigh seems to touch everyone she meets, spreading love and warmth so that everyone loves her and feels good around her.  And she makes sure everyone knows how much she despises "Jenny Mittens".


But this book is more than a mean girl versus the recluse with a hidden power.  Because Ashleigh's touch is a power too.  And there's a boy with a power too.  And when he touches Jenny, he doesn't get hurt.  But, he happens to be Ashleigh's boyfriend.
The novel becomes a power struggle between good and evil, right and wrong and life and death.  The ending is unbelievable!


As noted above, because of mature themes and content it is not recommended for anyone under the age of 16, but highly recommended!


Heather

10 comments:

  1. I adore this series! I need to start Alexander Death, I've been putting it off even though I'm crazy excited to know what happens because I know JL isn't afraid to abuse his characters and I just want Jenny to be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny-
    I know how it gets but you will love Alexander Death! Read it as soon as you can!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore this series! Fantastic review on Jenny Pox!

    JL Bryan just has this magical talent of really drawing the reader in and really owning the story. The Paranormals is one of my favorite series!

    btw: HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! Well, one day belated! But heartfelt just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have this on my tbr yelling at me to get to it! I think I need the others as well. Looks like I'm gonna love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds so good, thanks for the great review, heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kristi- Caught your tweet! Had a good one!
    I'll tell you about J. later.

    MELISSA- Get thee to your TBR stack and pull this one out and read it!! It is perfect for you!!

    Carrie-Not historic, but still it has a fight scene that will be legendary!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good. I have the book in my list to review! I hope to read it soon. I've read nothing but great things about this series. Nice review, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear SO many good things about this series. I really need to read it! Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie- I thought you had already read this one!

    Melissa- I'd have thought you would have read this series! It's definitely something you'd want to read !

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first saw the needing to wear gloves bit I thought of both Rogue from X-men (hello Sookie!) and of the Touch series of books. Glad to hear this has big differences from the Touch series, but it does seem eerily similar to Rogue's problems. Though that doesn't take away from the fact that I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva