Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Interview with Anya Parrish author of Damage

Today I have Anya Parrish, author of the paranormal, thriller DAMAGE.  You can read my review of it HERE


The Short Bio
Anya Parrish was born in Louisiana, grew up in Arkansas, went to college in New York, and found herself in California. She lives in Sonoma County, California with her family. DAMAGE is her first novel. Look for it in the fall of 2011 from Flux books.

The First Person Bio
I'm Anya Parrish. I write books about killer imaginary friends and falling in love. I have a very short attention span and I write for similar people who must have something HAPPENING on every page. I hope readers enjoy my 2011 debut, DAMAGE.
I'm also a mother of two and a wife to an amazing man in addition to a cook, a knitter, a wine drinker, a dancer, a game player, a song singer, and a mess. My house, however, is usually clean.
1.Well the first and most obvious question is, did you have some scary encounter with your imaginary childhood friend that prompted you to write this novel?

Sadly, no. I wasn't clever enough to have an imaginary friend--friendly, killer, or otherwise. I did have a lot of chatty stuffed animals, however.

2.One thing I wasn't clear on, what was Dani in the hospital for?

She's in the hospital for severe childhood diabetes. I think this confuses some people because--though diabetes is mentioned in the prologue--people don't think of it as a disease that's truly life threatening anymore. But it can be, especially for children.

3.What kind of research did you have to do, without giving anything away, to write your novel?

I did a lot of research about diabetes, ballet, winter sports in upstate New York, and secret government experiments in the Arizona desert.

4.On your web page you say "I have a very short attention span and I write for similar people who must have something HAPPENING on every page." Can you tell us what that sentence means to you?

There are times when I enjoy a quiet, meandering read, but more often I prefer the literary equivalent of an action movie. An action movie with nice character development that makes me care what happens to the people running from the bad guys/fighting the monster/escaping from the military installation. I write for people who enjoy the same.

5. Why the drastic difference in lifestyles between Dani and Jesse?

I wanted to illustrate the power of a shared experience--especially when that experience is a dramatic, painful one. That these two people from very different worlds and backgrounds can be brought together and learn to care about each other so quickly says a lot about how formative their childhood attacks were for each of them.

6. The story is far from completed. Can we expect another book or books with more mayhem from Rachel and "the monster"?

I would love to write more in this world--and already have a second novel plotted--but we're waiting to see how sales are for DAMAGE. If sales are strong, I'd certainly enjoy writing another book. I have several secrets about Dani, Jesse, and Mina that I'd love to explore.


Thank you so much Anya for visiting my blog today and taking the time to answer my questions.  I know you're busy.  I sure hope it's writing the sequel to DAMAGE!!!



Heather

8 comments:

  1. i'd never seen this before, that cover is sure an attention grabber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous interview ladies! I tend to gravitate toward the literary equivalent of an action movie too, the ones that just grab you from page one and don't let go:) Slow definitely works for me sometimes, but more often than not I like things to move at a brisk pace! I think I need to pick this one up:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, Carrie and Jenny-

    This one is such a thriller it will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time you're reading it!! And it has paranormal elements as well! Please read it! I need the sequel!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I would pick this one up on my own... the cover is a bit much for me. I'm such a wimp. But the idea of the book sounds good. I guess it would be one of those "if I'm in the mood" reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sadly forgot this book was coming out. I'll have to check for it next time I visit the bookstore. Great interview and questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um.. I have no words right now. This was absolutely positively hands down in my top 3 list of books. And I read about 8-9 books every 3 weeks. Please make a sequel.. I need to know what happens to Jessie and Dani. Oh and I adore Rachel, lol I know that's kind of creepy but this book is so0 awesome. I am now indebted and will read every single book Anya Parrish writes from here on out. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know if this author wrote any other books? Seems like after this one came out it was radio silence...

    ?

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva