Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

Sweet Medusa's stony stare! This was full of awesome!! I took my time reading this one savoring every bit of mythology and loving every little bit of discovery the girls came across, first Gretchen and Grace, then all three with Greer added! I have to say, and I know you aren't going to like me for this I loved Greer! This was a girl that was not going to let seeing monsters get in the way of her social obligations! "This monster fighting gig cannot...interfere with my social schedule."(p.338) Then later she admits "I'm joking." but she is serious. I just love that she fights a monster in Jimmy Choos and Kate Spade!

But seriously could any three girls be more different and yet have such a common goal and common powers and destinies? I totally loved everything about this book. The boys with names like Thane and Milo and the irreprssible Nick. I have a feeling there will be some mixing and matching going on and that Thane will somehow meet Greer. I just can't tell which boy is on who's side. Somebody has to be working for the other side. This story is full of holes and not in a bad way, just lots of questions for the next book. And I seriously am having withdrawal for the next one which seems like light years away. I don't think I've ever been left on such a huge cliff hanger. Who did that to them? And I loved that place! It was so cool, but obviously compromised.

So I've rambled enough, just to say, Sweet Venom is the beginning of a series worthy of the gods! You know how jealous they are so they'll all be clamoring for their own story, but this one belongs to one particular goddess I believe. And I love how Tera Lyn Childs has set this one up. It's got everything I love about YA. Mystery, mythology, danger, characters that wouldn't be together thrown together by circumstance and a little romance. I love it! And poor Medusa, misunderstood all these years!

I highly recommend this for all teens! Unless you're squeamish about killing monsters.



  1. This sounds like such a fantastic novel! Everyone seems to love this one, so I definitely need to get a copy of it soon, too. :)

    Thanks for sharing your opinion,
    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

  2. I absolutely adored this one too Heather! It was just such a fun read, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. By the end I really liked Greer as well, I can't wait for book two, it ended with a rather epic cliffhanger:)

  3. thanks for this great review, I sounds really nice, I will add it to my wishlist !

  4. Carina-This is a fantastic book! And poor Medusa finally gets some love!

    Jenny- I believe it's the most epic of cliff hangers ever! I loved this book!!

    Sally-Don't wait! Grab it now!

    Melliane- Pretty name! This one has such great action as you can imagine! It's great if you love mythology (don't have to know much) and some seriously strong female characters!


  5. The fact that both you and Jenny loved this book is enough to convince me I have to read it! Great review, as always, Heather :)


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva