Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dig: Zoe and Zeus by Audrey Hart

Dig:Zoe and Zeus by Audrey Hart

Zoe Calder has always been an outsider. Stashed away in boarding schools since her parents died, Zoe buries herself in the study of ancient worlds. Her greatest thrill is spending her summers with her archeologist aunt and uncle on digs around the world. And one day, while investigating a newly unearthed temple in Crete, Zoe discovers a luminous artifact that transports her to ancient Greece.

As Zoe quickly learns, the Olympian Gods are real, living people—humans with mysterious powers… Powers that Zoe quickly realizes she has come to possess, as well. However, when the people of ancient Greece mistake Zoe for an Olympian, the Gods must restore the balance of the ancient world… No matter what.

Zoe is forced to play a confusing and dangerous game as Hera rallies the gods against her—all except for Zeus, the beautiful, winged young god who risks everything to save her.

Out of time and out of her element, teenager Zoe Calder finds herself in ancient Greece, battling against the power of the Olympians and the vengeance of a scorned goddess—all for the strange and mysterious boy she has come to love.

I received a copy of this from the author for free.  This in no way influenced my review of the novel.

As I read Dig, I kept smiling through it and thought, what other book had me smiling like this as I read it.  I realized it was Stephanie Perkins Anna and the French Kiss.  This is a lot of light romance but does he or doesn't he.  And it's light and fluffy and was fun to read.  I don't know if the author intended it that way, but I never really felt a sense of doom and gloom in the book.

Zoe's parents are dead and she lives with her aunt and uncle who are archaeologists.  Zoe attends boarding school during the year and spends her summers with her aunt and uncle at whatever archaeological site they are working on at the time.
She's a bit of recluse, a social outcast by desire, and a bookworm.  She's awkward with people unless it's on a dig site.

In this novel, she is getting ready to leave for summer to an archaeological dig in Greece.  When her aunt and uncle pick her up they are excited because the site is a previously undiscovered Temple.  Zoe breaks the rules and wanders in it before it's been explored by the archaeologists and time travels back to 1000BC.  I won't tell you how, but it's a bit unorthodox.

The book blurb pretty much tells the whole story so I'll tell you my impressions.  I enjoyed the book.  It was a nice break from some of the other things I've been reading lately and from writing.  I loved reading about the gods and goddess of Ancient Greece as teenagers.  They acted a little like teenagers but they are much older.  They've been teens for 500 years.

Hera of course is supposed to be with Zeus so she is understandably threatened when he pays attention to Zoe.  She is a first class b****.  She knows how to make a dig sound like a compliment and Zoe in her unconventional clothes and awkwardness is a perfect target.  The other gods and goddesses are no better following Hera, they snub her.

Zeus is not the Zeus we are used to reading about and Zoe is aware of that.  She keeps picturing the older Zeus with his anger and his lightning bolt.  She conveniently forgets his dalliances with other women, but Hera alludes to the fact that she's not the first girl he's toyed with.

Yes, you have to throw out all your old preconceived notions of the gods and goddesses.  There are a few surprises.  And the ending definitely makes me wonder how it will affect the world of Ancient Greece and the mythology we've grown up with.
I can see a lot of problems in store for Zoe and Zeus with the next novel.

Overall, it was an enjoyable break from more intense novels I've been reading.  The writing was easy to read, not loaded down with descriptions and every time Zoe started to feel sorry for herself, she stopped, so she was likable as a character.  Zeus, not so much to me.  I can't forget who he is in the mythology that I've grown up with so he's got all that against him.  And his back and forth with Zoe was heartless considering she was friendless.  I hated the other gods and goddesses.  But there was a cute nymph, Creusa that I liked and could prove to be helpful in the future.  I guess the ending was a little predictable in that I knew whatever happened the main characters survived.  This is a trilogy.
I think YA lovers that don't mind a totally different view of the gods and goddesses would enjoy this novel.  And anyone looking for a light read, this would be good.  Yeah, there's insta love, but come on, he's a Greek god!



  1. I'm really liking the sound of this one! I'm such a huge fan of all things Greek mythology, so a light and fun read that features those gods and goddesses sounds like the perfect read for me:) Hadn't heard of this one before, thanks Heather!

  2. It's a brand new release Jenny. It's really cute.
    The teenage gods and goddesses was a great idea!


  3. I want to read this one. It sounds cute. Have you read the Goddess Girls books? It's a similar concept with teenage gods/goddesses.

  4. It's nice to have a light read mixed in with the heavier ones. I've been wanting to read this one, but as you say...I'm buried in books right now!

  5. This sounds good, though I'm not sure I'm flexible enough to accept such different versions of the Greek Gods. Still, I love books that make me smile throughout :)


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva