Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hushed by Kelley York


Hushed 
by Kelley York
Entangled Publishing
Available Now;
Amazon Barnes and Noble

He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.

Archer, in the beginning of the story is a cold calculating guy who's one thought is revenge and trying to win Vivian's love.  He seems like he'll do anything for her, yes including murder.

But Archer's been protecting and defending Vivian for years and she's never treated him as more than a best friend.  Maybe run to him for a night, but he's always known it wouldn't mean anything so he's never settled for that.  He's a man that's alone in a crowd.




But then, a very persistent Evan eases his way into Archer's life and a slow friendship begins.  To me, it's the sweetest love story I've ever read.  No insta love here.  Both are shy and their friendship is slow to start.  Archer has never had a friend he could really tell everything to and there's a lot to tell.
The slow build up of the relationship mirrors the buildup of the tension between Vivian and Archer. 


Vivian is a class A user.  She uses Archer whenever she needs to get out of a messy situation that she's put herself in.  She seems to date guys that are always abusive and obsessive.  And Archer is always rescuing her from these guys, until he doesn't.  And let's just say she doesn't like to share Archer.


This is a tense thriller with a great romance thrown in to make it even better.  You already know that Archer has killed for Vivian, so I'm not giving anything away, but you know it can't be wrapped up in a happily ever after ending.  But the ending is satisfying and realistic.


I think Kelley York's writing style is easy to read and her character development is perfect in this book.  I felt impatient and then totally disgusted and terrified by Vivian throughout the novel.  As she devolved into the lowest life, Archer grew into a man of conscience and self confident.  And Evan, well he was perfect from the beginning really, he made me smile every time I read about him.  Everything I'd want in a contemporary YA novel was there.


The romance is between two guys, but it's so beautifully written I totally forgot that.  And I really didn't care.  Romance done right is romance.  But if you have a problem with homosexuality, then don't read it.  But you'll miss out on a great new voice in YA contemporary lit and a great thriller!


Heather

8 comments:

  1. I have been seeing alot of this book around. Every review has me wanting it more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tee! It was really great! You need to read it! I absolutely loved it and I'll be hanging on to my copy. I really wish it was longer. But I liked how it ended.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Romance done right is romance."

    Couldn't agree more Heather! This one sounds incredibly dark and twisted and emotional and I love all those things, so I think this would be a good fit for me. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Review SFAM! Like Jenny said, Dark and twisted!

    Recognize the Borderline in the story? Taken to extreme but I could actually see something like this happening (okay, not exactly but you know what I mean :o] )

    Thanks for sharing such an insightful review! I wanna be you when I grow up :o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I crave HEAs in my books, but I recently read one where I didn't want an HEA but got one. I was disappointed. So, I'm glad that it was this way in the book but you got a satisfying ending. I am so curious about this one now. It sounds deliciously dark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great. Funny - for the last couple days I've been thinking about how there aren't enough homosexual relationships in young adult books. There are a lot of erotica books, but not as many mainstream (that I know of) for the YA audience. I love that this is a thriller with romance in it - that's my kinda read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny- Yes, the romance was so great in this. And Kelley wrote a beautiful romance in a great thriller!

    Kristi-God, I hope this doesn't ever happen! But yes, it does push the limits.

    Melissa-Yes, deliciously dark and thrilling!

    Book Sake-I went into this with no preconceived notions about it and it's not about homosexuality. It just happens that the romance is between two guys. But I do agree with you.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! This book sounds awesomely dark and twisty. Like, whoa! I'm glad you liked this one so much! I've been seeing it around and hadn't really decided if I was going to read it or not, but I'm definitely thinking this is one I'm going to need to get my hands on soon!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva