Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Poison Diaries Nightshade by Maryrose Wood with the Duchess of Northumberland


The Poison Diaries Nightshade
By Maryrose Wood with the Duchess of Northumberland
Harper Collins
October 2011


A dark, Gothic tale of romance… and murder.
The latest book in the gripping dark series, The Poison Diaries.

Our heroine, Jessamine, has lost her faith in the men she loved, and her innocence as well. She turns to the dark side and plots to kill her father, using his own poisons, before becoming an assassin, a poisoner for hire. Can she recover from her heartache and reunite with her true love, Weed? Find out in this thrilling story where poisons, darkness and horror are a part of everyday life, and love is the only cure.

SPOILER ALERT MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM THE FIRST NOVEL


Nightshade picks up shortly after where the first book in this series left off.  Jessamine is no longer sweet and innocent.  She is bitter and full of vengeance.  She knows of her father's betrayals, his evil nature and it eats at her soul every day he's alive.  She's sure Weed's departure has something to do with her father though he tells her he was a weak man and left when he thought she was dying.


The tone of this novel is even darker than the first and the paranormal elements take over more of the story.  The evil prince invades Jessamine's mind almost forcing her to do things she'd never do on her own.  She must flee the abbey and the voice of the prince guides her on her travels.  He promises to lead her to Weed, but not of course until he's used her for his own purpose's first.

I loved this second novel!  It was grittier and Jessamine was a pawn in the hands of Prince Oleander.  Gone is the innocence.  She is eaten up with rage and when that is appeased she has one desire, to see Weed.  But will he want to see her after what she's done?  I can't quite call her schizophrenic because Oleander is real, but she has conversations with him in her mind and talks to him.  He is slowly poisoning her so that she can't think for herself.


I didn't really like Jessamine in this one.  You'll see why.  She has moments of clarity, but for the most part she is sinking into madness or more likely being driven.  Still, I want her and Weed to have a happy ending.


Weed only appears in a short portion of the novel but it's significant.  Weed is no longer the innocent scared boy.  His is listening to the plants and trees for any sign of Jessamine.  He travels to Italy to visit the Holy Grail of Gardens and there he finds help.  Weed is still very noble and good.


The ending left me wanting more, but gave me a type of closure.  You know more is coming.  Weed knows where to find Jessamine.  And I can't wait for the final book, battle, showdown.  It's going to be spectacular!


Highly recommend for lovers of YA paranormal, YA romance, and YA in general and Gothic novels.


Heather

6 comments:

  1. Hello - this book sound suitably dark and alluring. :)And I#m loving the cover too. Hope all is well with you :D shah X

    http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/11/life-after-nanowrimo.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark and twisty is the way to my heart. I know that sounds manic, but I'm sure you understand! This series has a special place in my heart, so I'm intrigued! Brilliant, thoughtful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED The Poison Diaries, and I finally have a copy of the second book (this). It's so encouraging to know that the book is even stronger than the first, in terms of its dark tones. Absolutely cannot wait to get around to it! Great review. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shah, Melissa and Cass for stopping by!
    Yes very dark and twisty. Jessamine goes very deep into the darkness. There isn't much she doesn't do in this one. Get to the reading!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so need to read this one. It sounds like you enjoyed it even more. I am so getting this one and I know I'll need the third!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa- Yes, this one is much darker! Poor Jessamine loses all hope! The third doesn't come out for another year! AACK! I don't know if I can wait that long!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva