Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SAY WHAT? Jus Accardo Guest Post

Touch by Jus Accardo 

When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opportunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home.

Except there’s something off with Kale. He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she’ll turn to dust if he touches her. It’s not until Dez’s father shows up, wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there’s more to this boy—and her father’s “law firm”—than she realized.

Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation—an organization devoted to collecting “special” kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons—his entire life. And, oh yeah, his touch? It kills. The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down Denazen before they’re caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all. A secret Dez has spent her life keeping safe.

A secret Kale will kill to protect.

Sounds exciting doesn't it???  Well I don't have my hands on the book yet,  but I have the next best thing, the author Jus Accardo agreed to do a blog post and since I'm doing NaNoWriMo this month I asked her to write something about writing.  Lucky for me she sent a post about dialogue, one of my problem spots.  So I'm eager to read  what she has to say and I hope you are too.  I put some links to Jus at the bottom of the page and links to where you can get the book.

Without further ado I bring you Jus Accardo---

 Say What?

Dialog. Ya can’t have a book without it. Well, I guess you could…but it 
wouldn’t be very interesting.  
Sure, setting the scene is important. Details and descriptions--the five senses--are a huge part of writing, but so is the dialogue. We all talk different way. Have different accents. Use different phrases and slang.  

We’re all individuals—and our characters should be too.  Pick up your favorite novel. Really pay attention. What is it about the dialog that keeps you reading? For me, it has to be real. Feel authentic and unforced. There should be a natural flow to the conversation. If you head to the mall, or pop a squat at the local diner, you’re not generally going to hear people talking like robots.

Make it real. Observe. Go out and listen to the way people talk. Write your characters using slang. Times change. The dialog has to change with them. Peachy keen, neato, and golly gee jeepers, have morphed into things like epic, awesome (awesomesauce is also acceptable J ), and holy crap (also acceptable *holy Batman in a tutu, holy hand grenades, holy hot sauce, holy house of hogs getting blasted by the red birdie brigade). Anything that will showcase your character’s personality and individual voice.  Unless of course you have a totally retro character in which case, golly gee jeepers works just fine. Might make me cringe a little, but works just fine. ;)

Whenever I’m out and about, I’m always listening. Kinda makes me sound like a conversation stalker, but I’m not so much paying attention to what people are talking about, so much as how they’re talking about it. It's inspiration as much as research.

How about everyone else? Any tips for making dialog more authentic?

Great tips Jus and now I don't feel so bad sitting at the door listening to my son and his friends Skype.  I'm really just trying to get the teen speak down, really!!  There's a lot of Dudes involved.  Apparently Dude has hundreds of meanings of which I only know a few.

To learn more about Touch or Jus Accardo you may find her 
in these places

and to find the book Touch you can go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble

Touch is being published by Entangled Publishing and has already been released at the beginning of this month.

Thanks Jus and Stacey from Entangled Publishing!



  1. Heather - You beat me to the post having Jus on your blog - thing she's over at mine next week - soon followed by my review of her book ;D Both thankfully scheduled ages ago, leaving me a little more time to catch up with your writing speed brilliance! I can taste the dust from your sneakers! :D You are kicking my ass, Lady!! X

    P.S: Informative and timely post Jus! See you at mine soon. :D

  2. I've heard such great things about this book, it's one I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on! I can't even imagine how difficult writing dialog would be, it would be so easy to make it sound robotic and stunted instead of natural:)

  3. hahahah "holy house of hogs getting blasted by the red birdie brigade"

    That one has to be my favorite!

    I'm a conversation stalker too. I work at a university and just walking through the student union, I hear all kinds of funny things. Students are the best conversationalist!

  4. Shah- Your word count is so close to mine, what are you talking about??? I'm still waiting on the book. I have to have a hard copy.

    Jenny- I know. I'm struggling with dialog. But I can't wait to read this one!

    Missie- I don't get to visit the HS very often, I get inside even less. He's the model child. But I hear a lot when his friends come over. They like to tease the deaf dog. "I know, right." Seems to be big. And "Dude." That is huge! I'd love access to a college campus.

    Thanks for stopping by!


  5. Got my book!! Oh are you guys gonna love Kale!!!


  6. This kinda reminds me of The Maximum Ride series mixed with The Touch Series. Both ones I love!

  7. Jess- I haven't read either one. I just know I finished it today and loved it! Entangled has some great books!



This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva