Quick Note

Hope everyone has a GREAT EASTER or PASSOVER or just lovely weather- Spring I hope or Fall if you are in that part of the world! If you are getting a break YAHOO! I'll be out of internet service for the next several days. My mom lives in the dark ages!
See you next week!!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Weaver by Kai Strand

The Weaver by Kai Strand




The Weaver is a Middle Grade story about a little girl named Mary who lives in a town of word weavers and Mary's mother is the best word weaver of them all. But Mary is still in Novice Word Weaving, for the third year. In a town called The Tales, this story is told in small short chapters making it easy for intermediate readers. It's a little heavy on the life lessons, but the story is so cute it makes up for it. Or as I think about my 11 yr old, perhaps it isn't so heavy on the life lesson. It just has to be repeated a lot for this age group to receive the message.

Mary, in the course of going to the dairy, is knocked down by a passing cart and falls into a mud puddle. When she picks her bottles up, she only has three instead of four. She has to wrestle with something to get her fourth bottle and loses it to a gnome-elf. He's half of each, so he has half magic. He gives her a wish and while she lays there passed out from the magic, he steals away with her milk.

Over the course of the story, Mary finds that she didn't word her wish exactly as she should have and that this comes with consequences. She also learns some life lessons which I'll let you read. The book is only ninety pages long but in it Mary has friends that you can tell she values and parents whom she loves that love her very much. It's Mary that has to come to terms with who she is.

It's a very sweet story and shows that parents love their children no matter what. I only wish that it had pictures to go with it. I think the words are wonderful and the story is written well. I just felt the need for pictures to go with it.

I'd recommend this to anyone who is a lover of words and for chapter readers and up! I hope to see more from Kai Strand! She's a talented writer!

Heather

4 comments:

  1. Heather, I'm so glad you enjoyed The Weaver. Thank you for reading and for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending it my way Kai! I had to keep it out of my 11 yr old's hands so I could actually read it and review it before it disappeared. Once he gets a hold of it no telling where it will be!
    I loved the message! One I think kids need to hear more often.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a cute read. I like what you said about it showing parents loving their children no matter what. Often in books of late it seems like parents are clueless and careless and that annoys me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book Sake- Not this one. The girl is reassured that she is loved whether she call "yarn a tale or not". That's not what matters to them, just that she's safe. It was refreshing!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva