Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Across The Universe
by Beth Revis
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Okay, so I'm doing this backwards, but I thought I'd let you all know just how unbelievably awesome A Million Suns is so that you could put it on your pre-buy list or save some money to buy it-it is so worth it!  Now, I know you've all probably read this one so my review is for those of you who are reluctant to read this one, afraid that it won't live up to the hype.  I knew it  in August that it would, I started it then and it grabbed me on the first page so you'll probably know by the first chapter if you're going to like it.  If you don't then, well I can't imagine what  you don't like about it, but we all have a right to our own opinions.



So, here's my review.  It's so lives up to the hype!  Across the Universe has it all!  Lots of lies and secrets! I mean so many lies! And then the secrets Eldest is keeping from Elder.  He's supposed to be teaching Elder to run things yet Elder doesn't know a third of what's really going on.  I don't know how Eldest thinks Elder is supposed to run things or act like a leader when he treats Elder like a child.  


I didn't like Eldest.  Beth Revis wrote it so that you couldn't like him.  He was all powerful and egotistical.  He ran things his way and wanted it run his way after he was gone.  He implied that he could get rid of anyone and just replace them if they didn't follow his way of thinking.  He was a dictator, not a leader at all.


Elder was sweet and young and a little immature (and we all know boys mature slower than girls) because he had been sheltered all his life.  He was being brought up to be the leader of the ship and because of that, he was kept apart from most of the other people.  He was the youngest person on the ship and when Amy was "unthawed" he finally had someone his age.  He was sweetly protective of her and a little in awe of her because she was so different from anyone else on the ship. So there is a little bit of romance, budding, but it's really back story and for those of you who hate insta love, this isn't that kind of romance.  It isn't even love.  So yay for an author that knows how to build a friendship into something more, maybe.


Amy was a strong, willful girl who wanted what she signed up for-to be thawed out fifty years later than she had been when the ship got to Centauri Earth.  Instead, she's woken up early and stuck on a ship that makes her feel claustrophobic.  There is no real sky and the air feels recycled.  The animals don't look real, the food tastes off, the people are off, too. And most of all, they don't like Amy thanks to Eldest telling everyone she's a freak and to be ignored.  So, there's also danger.  First, she's a girl, and I don't care how strong willed and brave you are, it doesn't beat physical strength or the plans of a murderer!


There are other characters to love and hate, Doc, Harley, Luthe, Orion, Victria and lots of things to discover on and about Godspeed.  It's an incredibly detailed and well thought out story line.  It's fast paced and sparely written, meaning Beth Revis isn't verbose with descriptions and unnecessary words.  Nothing is wasted, kind of like on Godspeed. Sort of hard to believe in a book that is just shy of 400 pages, but it is worth every single word!  I'm in love with this series and I'm hoping that this trilogy turns into something longer!!

I highly recommend this novel to anyone that loves YA! I say I don't like Science Fiction, but the gadgets in this one are kept to a minimum in this so it didn't really feel like Science Fiction. But it did have gadgets that I thought were pretty cool!  Anyone that loves a good mystery should love this as well.

Just a caution, there are a couple of scenes that might make this a thirteen and up read.
Heather

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heather - books sounds cool - I have a really difficult adult sic-fi one to read - I'm taking it in chunks tbh - bleh!

    http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/12/in-honour-of-national-guards-375th.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'll take your word that it lives up to the hype. I've been meaning to get to this one eventually, and maybe now I'll move it up a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear this one lives up to the hype! I was leery, but read it Logan, maybe it will get you out of your slump! And you don't have to review it because everyone else has!!

    Shah, I hate it when I have a book I'm struggling with. An adult sci-fi book would not be my first choice or 32nd!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really dug this book as well. I'm a huge Sci Fi fan, but I agree this story built a very cool world inside the ship, but the characters were so compelling you forgot you were in space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one didn't live up to the hype for me. I'm skipping the next one cause I didn't feel it and I was very sad about that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been kind of iffy about this book, but after reading Glow, I'm coming around to Across the Universe a little more. Your review helps, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I stayed up until 4 am reading this book so I could finish it in one sitting. Wow. I must get my hands on the second book! I have to know what happens next! So many unanswered questions.

    Nice twist at the end though. I kind of saw it coming and figured out Orion's role in everything early one, but still a good twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok. As I write my review, I have to mention this to my book chat partner in crime...

    Did you notice the important of the ship's name and the clever reference to Dante's Inferno? Pure genius!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva