Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Shattered Souls
by Mary Lindsey
Philomel a Division of Penguin Young Readers Group
Available Now


Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon. 



I didn't expect to like this book so much, but when I closed the book at the end the words, "That was a good book," came out of my mouth, not that there was anyone to hear me or care. So
let's see if I can tell you what made me like it so much.


Lenzi is kind of broken and as like attracts like, she's with a boy that's broken.  He seems really sweet at first, but then he drives drunk and tries to make out with her on her father's gravestone and passes out in a graveyard in a bad part of town leaving Lenzi, on her birthday, pretty much alone.  Yeah, my opinion of him took a nose dive really fast from there.  Then this stranger comes up out of nowhere in the graveyard and starts talking to Lenzi like he knows her and she's supposed to know him and Lenzi, who already thinks she might be succumbing to her father's scizophrenia, really thinks she's going crazy.  But Alden, the stranger in the cemetery tells her some things she just can't deny and he protects her, even from the boyfriend that wants to drive her home drunk and her mother's lecture when she has to pick her up.  


There is no insta love.  Insta attraction maybe, Alden is cute and Zak is a jerk, a drunk one. And apparently very jealous and has a temper.  Alden looks pretty good in comparison.
But Alden fights Lenzi's attraction through the whole book because they have a past and Lenzi who was Rose in the past made it clear it was a professional relationship.  And while we are on professions, Lenzi is a Speaker she resolves issues the dead have here on Earth so they can go on to wherever.
Alden is her Protector, keeping leftover souls from taking over her body and staying there.  It's a pretty unique concept and the denial and fight Lenzi puts up that she is this person and does this job takes up quite a bit of the book.


I liked the way Mary Lindsey slowly revealed this new world to readers.  I didn't feel overwhelmed.  It seemed pretty straightforward to me.  I also liked that Lenzi and Alden had real lives and parents to contend with and live with and weren't just living a supernatural life.  I'm really interested to see where the story will go from here because I know it isn't over.


So if you want a new type of paranormal romance, this is the book for you.  Not taxing to your emotions or your brain, but very enjoyable.  It's definitely a quick read!


Heather

5 comments:

  1. Seriously, I only read raving reviews about this one but for some reason the book never grabbed my attention..
    But, now you love it too? And, no instant we-are-soul-mates-forever- love? YES... that sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I had a few small issues with this one, I really enjoyed it overall, especially the relationship between Alden and Lenzi. Yay no insta-love! I also liked never really knowing which version of Rose Alden was in love with, the one before Lenzi or Lenzi herself:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review- you've made me want to read this now! Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insta-attraction I can get on board with! I've been wanting to know how this book has fared, I love that cover. Yep, will totally read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When a book has a cover this gorgeous, you want to buy it and just pray that the story inside is awesome enough to match... and that's exactly the case with Shattered Souls! I loved it!
    Decking Ipe website

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva