Thursday, December 8, 2011

Shattered Dreams-A Midnight Dragonfly Novel by Ellie James

Shattered Dreams A Midnight Dragonfly Novel
Ellie James
St. Martin's Press
December 2011
Amazon, Barnes and Noble

Sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But that isn’t as easy as it seems. Trinity is different. She is special. She sees visions, and for those she’s seen, it’s already too late.

Trinity arrives on her aunt’s doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. She begins settling into life at a new school and even starts making friends. But all too quickly her dreams accelerate; twisted, terrifying visions of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader, Jessica, goes missing, Trinity knows she has no choice but to step forward with what she’s seen.

But people believe that Trinity has information about Jessica’s disappearance not because of a dream, but because she is involved. She is kind-of dating Jessica’s ex-boyfriend, Chase, and Jessica did pull a nasty prank on Trinity. Revenge seems like the likeliest scenario.

Nothing prepares Trinity for the dark odyssey that ensues while searching for Jessica, including the surprising romance she finds with Chase, or the shocking truths she learns, not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her.

I received a free copy of this book from Library Things Early Reviewers and St. Martin's Griffin.  This in no way influenced my review of this book. (I read it in July).

What I loved- Great story line! I haven't read anything like it anywhere else. Trinity, the main character is precognitive, but more than that. Her dreams are terrifyingly real so that she doesn't know if what she is seeing is real or imagined. And they don't only happen at night. Her parents died in a car accident and she grew up with her grandmother in Colorado being homeschooled. She knows very little about her parents and has never even seen a picture of them. Her grandmother told her to keep her visions to herself. When her grandmother dies she goes to live with her father's sister in New Orleans. That's where the story takes place in post Katrina New Orleans. The author uses the devastation of Katrina as part of her setting. It has a somewhat haunting feel to it and it's also a psychological thriller. Trinity has to piece together her past and find the answers she doesn't know she's looking for before she can clear her name for a crime she didn't commit. I didn't completely understand her motivations and mistrust, but the story line was strong and fast paced and carried the novel along quickly. There was never a dull moment and Trinity never had the woe is me attitude, which I loved. She was strong on the outside but not so much on the inside. And made a few dumb mistakes.

What I hated- Insta love, the boy she liked called her "Baby" ugh! Too many uses of she had to remember to breathe, she held her breath, was she breathing, had she breathed, that kind of thing and Chases' bottom lip, just so you know, is full. Said that a few times. Those are minor I know, but they kept cropping up so much that they bugged me.

But I highly recommend it because it's completely fascinating and a fast read and it's like a sprint to the finish line. I couldn't put it down! It's the first in a series that is going to be fantastic and I'm kinda sad I got to read it so early because I'll have to wait forever for the second one to come out. I'm not as interested in the romance as I am in Trinity's abilities. Can't wait for the next one.



  1. Well, the insta love is a bit of a turnoff, as is the use of the word "baby". There has been exactly one book (Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh) where that endearment I thought worked really well and made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Other than that though, the paranormal element sounds really interesting, and might be enough for me to overlook the insta love and full-lower-lip-gloriousness that is Chase:)

  2. Jenny- Really, I let the romance take a back seat in this one. Hopefully Chase drops the baby and Trinity learns to breathe. But the paranormal was fascinating!! The post Katrina NOLA was almost Gothic in this one. It was done very well.


  3. Great review Heather! I've had this book on my TBR list, so it's great to see that you really liked it :-)

    I'll try and get through the "baby" part-LOL!

  4. Hello -Heather Just to let you know you were awarded a blog award today by me ;D = hope you can stop by to accept it. :) XX

  5. I think the "baby" bothered me so much because I had a boyfriend that called me that and he used it to belittle me. May not bother you guys. It is not an endearment I like!


  6. Love your header.



  7. I'm not big on instalove, it always annoys me...but since the rest of it holds up with the fast moving story, I think I will have to give this one a read!

  8. Argh instalove! I'm not a fan. And all those repetitive phrases! It's really bad when one of the things you take away from a book (enough so to mention in a review) is a pointless repetitive phrase. The rest of the book sounds good though, so I'll keep an eye out for your review of the sequel and see if it gets better.


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva