Monday, December 5, 2011

Sirenz by Charlotte Bennardo & Natalie Zaman


by Charlotte Bennardo & Natalie Zaman
Flux Publishing
June 2011

Bickering frenemies Meg and Shar are doing some serious damage at a midnight sample sale when the fashionistas find themselves arguing over a pair of shoes-with fatal consequences. One innocent bystander later, the girls are suddenly at the mercy of Hades, Lord of the Underworld himself. To make them atone for what they've done, Hades forces the teens to become special-assignment Sirens, luring to the Underworld an individual whose unholy contract is up.

Finding that delicate balance between their fashion addiction and their new part-time job in the eternal hellfire biz turns out to be harder than Meg and Shar expected, especially when an entire pantheon of Greek deities decides to get involved. Then there's the matter of the fine print in their own contracts...

Well after almost six months of sitting on my shelf, I finally got around to reading this novel.  It wasn't one I couldn't put down, not a thriller where I had to find out what happened, but it was entertaining.  I love pretty much anything that has to do with Greek mythology, funny, realistic, tragic or farce.  I'm up for it!  So you give me two shopping girls and Hades and I'm really going to want to read it!

First, the characters.  Shar is the pink loving, fashionista who all the boys look at and who is used to all the attention.  She doesn't share it easily.  Then there is Meg, all black wearing, vegan, music loving, could care less about makeup, fashion or her appearance.  She's not used to attention.  They're roommates and not a good match. Then there's Sweet Jeans!  He actually has a name - Jeremy. And he's gorgeous, kind, helpful and interested in one of the girls.

Then we have the Gods and Goddesses.  There's Hades, looking oh so hot and fine and offering deals that seemingly can't be refused.  He really is a sneaky devil.  Then there's Demeter messing things up for Shar and Meg trying to thwart their plans.  She's nasty and constantly a pain in their necks.  And even Persephone makes an appearance though briefly.

Though the Gods and Goddesses don't make any kind of changes in their characters, Shar and Meg grow greatly through the course of the book.  It's a lot of fun reading about what happens to them as they try to complete their task.  They have each other's backs and work together as a team to stay one step ahead of the God's.

The story.  It was a good story.  Funny plot and some great surprises I never expected.  I think some of them could have been funnier if they carried it a little further.  But the twists and turns and roadblocks that the girls came up against were funny and the side effects of their "gifts" were interesting.
I'm pretty sure there is a follow up book.  The ending definitely closes everything up, but it also leaves things questionable enough to leave room for a sequel.

Favorite line in the book:  "He was so anal he probably squeaked when he ran." (p. 148)

I would recommend this book to lovers of Greek mythology, though it only loosely follows the story of Persephone and Hades, that's not what the story is about, as the title tells you.
Anyone that loves YA paranormal with a touch of humor, will enjoy this one.  It is a light, enjoyable read and I'll definitely pick up the next one when it comes out.



  1. There will be a sequel! I'm going to read it too. I liked Sirenz. I agree with what you said, it wasn't something I HAD to read, but it was enjoyable. I also think it could have been funnier, but it was still a lot of fun. I liked the problems they encountered with their gifts. That was my favorite part.

  2. I'm usually up for any an all things Greek mythology, so I'm excited for this one! Doesn't sound like it was blow-your-mind epic, but seems entertaining enough and that works for me! Looking forward to meeting Sweet Jeans:)

  3. Hey Heather - I'm still in UK but thought I'd pop in to see hows things ;D Another yummy review. Their gifts is the most intriguing thing for me, but if I'm honest, I have such a long TBR list that I cannot in visage getting anything new for a while. It is taking a lot of strength to stop getting newbies though :D X

  4. I loved Sirenz for all the reasons stated in your review! It's a fun easy read that's thoroughly enjoyable!

    That quote! LOL SFAM!!! Remember my Asshat quote and that's all we could say? ROFL! Squeaky butt's for the anals in my life will all I'll be thinking about for awhile! I completely forgot that one! Bravo :o]

    Great review as always!

  5. Ah Kristi my deat SFAM- I did forget the A**Hat! Such a poetic and descriptive term! I shall not forget again! I have some anal people in my life and I truly burst out laughing after reading that line. I even called and left a message on my husband's line at work with the one!

    Shah-Wait for the sequel and get both at the same time! It's great for a laying around the pool kind of day. Hope you're having fun in the UK!

    Jenny-Not a mind blower, but definitely enjoyable! And those gifts, I just can't give it away but they are awkward! You might have to find a picture of Sweet Jeans for the book boyfriend Missie does. I can never find pictures.

    Small- I think I saw that cover! I can't wait to see what happens. Those Gods and Goddesses are not done with those two girls. But yes, it could have been a little funnier. Still it was enjoyable and I'll get the sequel!

    Thanks for stopping by!


  6. I've got this one on my shelf to read. I thought it looked cute and fluffy. You know how I love my mythology retellings too!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva