Thursday, December 1, 2011

Writer's Block by Kelley York Author of Hushed


Introducing Kelley York Author of Hushed

Kelley was born and raised in central California, where she still resides with her lovely wife, daughter, and an abundance of pets. (Although she does fantasize about moving across the globe to Ireland.) She has a fascination with bells, adores all things furry – be them squeaky, barky or meow-y – is a lover of video games, manga and anime, and likes to pretend she’s a decent photographer. Her life goal is to find a real unicorn. Or maybe a mermaid.
Within young adult, she enjoys writing and reading a variety of genres from contemporary with a unique twist, psychological thrillers, paranormal/urban fantasy and horror. She loves stories where character development takes center stage.



Kelley's website: http://www.kelley-york.com/blog



Writer’s Block
Something that seems to plague all writers, right? Which can be pretty terrifying when you have deadlines (even self-imposed ones) to meet, and the words just aren’t coming.
For me, writer’s block usually comes around the 20,000 word mark, about a fourth of the way through the book. I’ve introduced my main cast, I’ve set up plot threads, I’ve gotten things going and now it’s time to really amp up the stakes and start climbing to the top of the roller coaster for that hundred-foot drop.
And, almost always, I get stuck. Not even because I don’t have ideas—in fact, usually I know what’s going to happen next but the words aren’t coming.
Most everyone reaches a point in certain stories where they get stuck. Or maybe their creative juices run dry and they can’t seem to work on anything. I have a 1,000-words-a-day goal and if I’m opening my word doc and staring at it, unable to think of what to write, I know there’s another problem and I need to break through it before I end up losing interest in the story all together.
Write or Die is really handy in these cases. The web app is free (or you can download it for a cost). Write or Die has several settings, and it basically forces you into writing a certain number of words in an allotted time. I had a really bad block in one of my books and nothing else seemed to work. So, I set WOD on 10 minute periods to get 50-ish words done, and kept at it for awhile, until finally...I had the creativity going enough I didn’t need it anymore. It was kind of a pain, but it worked.
Alternatively, sometimes I’ve found fresh music helps. If you’re one who writes to music, switch around your playlist and add some new songs that go along with your WIP.
Sometimes a big daily word-goal is daunting, so cut it up into pieces. 100 words this hour, another 100 a few hours later. And keep in mind, even if you don’t reach that 1,000 (or whatever your goal is), at least you wrote something and progress is a great thing.
What tricks do you guys use to get past writer’s block? 



In case you missed yesterday's post here's the synopsis of Hushed and what's being said about it.


Hushed
AmazonBarnes and Noble

He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.




'Kelley York delivers in this impressive debut. I was at the edge of my
seat waiting to see what would happen next! Bottom line, this was
unputdownable!!!' --- YA Fantasy Guide ---



Heather

3 comments:

  1. Oh I don't write, but that sounds like a great idea! For me, I paint. So, just getting something drawn... something painted... it just depends. It just about doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writer's block has always been the bane of my existence. It's always nice to hear from an author about how he or she manages to cope with it! Brilliant guest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you my Melissa friends!! A painter and a writer. Wouldn't it be fun to have a creative retreat somewhere inspiring and share our creativity?? Wonder what your paintings could inspire us to write Melissa?

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva