Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wynter Chelsea The Legacy by Becca Ritchie

Wynter Chelsea The Legacy
by Becca Ritchie
Amazon, Barnes and Noble
I received a copy of this novel from the author for free for review.  This in no way influenced my review of the novel and I was not compensated for my review.

The Chelseas and the Wynters are the last line of defense between humans and the paranormal creatures that roam the world seeking to overrun it.  From the beginning of time, there have always been Wynters and Chelseas fighting against the evil forces in the world.  But something is different in this generation.  For the first time, a girl has been born to the Chelsea family.  Amanda Chelsea.  And this changes the game for everyone.

Amanda may be a Chelsea, but she's not allowed to be part of the legacy, the one that says the Wynters and the Chelseas fight against demons and half demons and rid the world of their presence.  Jack, Amanda's brother, and the oldest of all of them, and Dustin and Trevor Wynter all are sworn to protect Amanda and keep her from fighting. So as the boys grow up learning about the different types of demons and how to kill them, Amanda is made to stay away from all of it.

Then to compound things, this generation of Wynters and Chelseas are given "gifts".  Jack Chelsea can conjure anything from a gun to money. Amanda is an empath and with the volatile emotions of her brother, is left in pain more than protected by him.  Dustin is telepathic and it's almost as hard on him as being an empath is to Amanda.  For this reason, the two of them grow close.  And Trevor, the youngest is precognitive and a bit of comic relief.

One night, Amanda breaks the rules and goes into the woods after the guys and ends up having to defend herself against a demon.  She is forced to fight.  When the guys catch up with her and find out, the tension and anger is palpable.  The next day, their parents disappear.

The rest of the novel is in pursuit of finding their parents.  It seems directly linked to that night.  The guys still won't let Amanda hunt, yet she is right there beside them fighting, saving their butts one time but they never come right out and admit that she's fighting.  So many secrets are kept.  

Dustin and Amanda obviously have feelings for each other and it was a little tedious reading the back and forth.  Amanda seemed to be a bit oblivious even to her own feelings to Dustin.
Her brother wasn't happy about it as if it was any of his business.  But they all make Amanda's personal life their business, whether it's appropriate or not.

Amanda for her part whines a bit about not being part of the legacy and how that's all she wants.  But what she really wants is her parents' approval and love.  Apparently they aren't real forthcoming with their feelings, but as an empath, she should have been able to feel what they felt about her.

The story line was incredible.  Totally unsuspecting, it snuck up on me at the end and everything made sense.  The last part of the novel was just numbing to read and realize what happened. 

I truly enjoyed this novel.  The writing was interesting and the characters were believable.  I felt Dustin and Amanda were the most developed of the characters.  Jack was always angry and Trevor was always wisecracking.  Other than that, we didn't get to see into their minds very much.  But I enjoyed getting to know Amanda and Dustin so well and I hope in the next book that their relationship actually develops.  I'm definitely looking forward to reading The Sublimity.

This is a great book for anyone that loves YA paranormal.


  1. Thank you for taking the time to share your view with us today:) I have been following this book a bit and I have it on my wishlist.

  2. DeniseZ.- I really enjoyed it! I wish more people would take notice of it. It astounded me that Becca was only 14 when she wrote it. The plot was so intricate and in the end, my mind traveled back to the one instant in time when everything was set in motion. I can't wait to read the next one, now!
    Thank for commenting!!


  3. 14 when she wrote it - awesome! Glad to hear the characters were done well - that's always my biggest concern.

  4. Wow, now I really want to read the end of this one to know how everything comes together! Too bad Amanda whines a bit, but it seems like she's still a likable character for the most part. Thanks for the review Heather!

  5. Thanks for the comments everyone! It really is a great book!


  6. This sounds like an exciting story!! You definitely have me interested. =)

  7. I enjoyed this one too. She sometimes annoyed me, but overall it was a really great story!

  8. Okay, you have me curious. I haven't heard of this one! Where have I been? :)

    And she was 14??? Ah... I'm so jelly! I needs peanutbutter! ;D

    Seriously, I'm going to check this one out!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva