Monday, January 16, 2012

Review- The Candidates by Inara Scott

The Candidates
by Inara Scott
Hyperion
Available Now

Dancia Lewis is far from popular. And that's not just because of her average grades or her less-than-glamorous wardrobe. In fact, Dancia's mediocrity is a welcome cover for her secret: whenever she sees a person threatening someone she cares about, things just...happen. Cars skid. Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does everything possible to avoid getting close to anyone, believing this way she can suppress her powers and keep them hidden.
But when recruiters from the prestigious Delcroix Academy show up in her living room to offer her a full scholarship, Dancia's days of living under the radar may be over. Only, Delcroix is a school for diplomats' kids and child geniuses--not B students with uncontrollable telekinetic tendencies. So why are they treating Dancia like she's special? Even the hottest guy on campus seems to be going out of his way to make Dancia feel welcome.
And then there's her mysterious new friend Jack, who can't stay out of trouble. He suspects something dangerous is going on at the Academy and wants Dancia to help him figure out what. But Dancia isn't convinced. She hopes that maybe the recruiters know more about her "gift" than they're letting on. Maybe they can help her understand how to use it...But not even Dancia could have imagined what awaits her behind the gates of Delcroix Academy.
This was a great book to read over Christmas.  It wasn't that long and it wasn't gloomy.  It was an interesting mystery. First it took place at a boarding school for "special" kids.  Blend into the woodwork Dancia  is not sure why she's at the Delcroix Academy. But everyone seems to think she belongs there. And for the first time in her life, she's got friends.  I loved the friends.  Two very solid, very thoughtful and good friends.  Hennie and Esther, unique names for some very unique but loyal friends.  No real mean girls in this one except for Dancia's roommate, Catherine. Not Cathy or Cat. Catherine. Yeah she's uptight. But she's more of a control freak and lonely than anything else. That was my impression anyway.
The school is unique. The selection of courses is vast and electives are varied-until you find what you're "special" at, you take all kinds of things. Dancia finds that she is not" special" in public speaking nor pottery. But she is good at attracting the attention of the resident bad boy, Jack who keeps telling her there is some kind of conspiracy going on at the school.  The locked gates bother him. They, the kids at the school, are told it's to keep anyone undesirable out, but Jack thinks it's to keep them in and he shows Dancia some pretty good evidence that makes her question what she's been told.
But she's also got the attention of the hottest guy on campus, the boy that came to her house to recruit her to come to Delcroix.  He goes out of his way to pay attention to her and make her feel special. Now, as I read it, I had my doubts.  Dancia is 15 and he's probably 17. What does a junior want with a 9th grader? I was suspect of his motives and what he wanted from her (not that!).  But Dancia, being 15, doesn't question his attention to her.  She thinks Cam's attraction to her is believable. When I told my husband about this part he nicknamed him Scam and I can't get past calling him that.  Anyway, Dancia has to sort out who to believe and who can be trusted and the answer is surprising.  And what Delcroix is really all about, besides producing senators, and famous painters and actors and ambassadors, is well, one of my favorite things- something paranormal
This was a quick read but left a lot to think about.  I'm glad there is another book coming out soon so I can see what else goes on at Delcroix! Oh and Dancia finds out what she's "special" at. 
This book is appropriate for older MG and any YA reader who like paranormal reads with romance.
Heather

8 comments:

  1. I read this one a while back and really liked it! It's a fast and fun read indeed! But, I really loved Jack and I was heartbroken when he dissapeared.. I also heard he's not truly coming back in the next book?
    Oh and ... I hate when they are changing the covers - I really love this one and I saw an early version of a similar one for the next. But, now they changed not only covers but also titles- weird much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review! I really liked her friends as well, they were great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scam! Hahaha now I'm going to be calling him that when I finally get around to picking up book 2! I enjoyed this one as well, though I wish we had gotten some more info on the whole "candidate" thing a bit earlier, it didn't really come into play until the end. Guess that's what book 2 is for though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, goodie. I wanted to get in one more book before winter vacation ends. This sounds like the one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh? It wasn't gloomy? Just by looking at the cover, I would think so. LOL

    I've been meaning to read this one for a while now. Glad to know it's a quick and interesting read. I hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the second book in the series that I'm going to read soon since it comes out before long (I've had it since like August though!). But it was nice to read a review since it's been AGES since I read this one. I thought it was good, but felt like things would get even better as the series continues. I guess we'll find out! Inara also writes adult books and had a fairy book come out in October and has another coming out this Spring. She's a local author that I know pretty well and am always happy to help promote. So anyway, thought I'd let you know in case you didn't know about her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candace- She writes Fairy books??? For Adults?? I had no idea. I will have to ask her about that.

    Danny- Yeah, I was a bit confused thinking The Talents was a new book in the series. I like my cover better. It's got more *flash* LOL I couldn't come up with another word! Yeah, Jack the bad boy is more appealing. Scam is just a little too milk and cookies for me, though he did do that one thing for Jack.

    YA Book Queen- Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

    Jenny- I know Scam just fit so well! The hubs doesn't read but he will listen. I'm still not sure if we can trust him. And the second one comes out soon, The Marked, I think.

    Leslie Rose- Yes, I think I'd say this was a really quick read. The "special abilities" aren't hard to understand once they are explained and it's a bit of world building, boarding school and relationship building. Good background building. Like I said I loved the characters.

    Missie- What on the cover gave it away??

    Thanks everyone!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought that it would have been gloomy too by seeing the cover. I read it awhile ago, but didn't like it so much. The writing was good, but I was expecting more paranormal occurrences given what the kids could do.
    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva