Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tempting Tuesdays- Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill Week One with Host Supernatural Snark

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR CHAPTERS 1-4


These questions are from Jenny at Supernatural Snark the first host
for the Some Girls Bite Read Along

Discussion Questions Chapter 1-4



1. Let’s say tomorrow a “vampire manifesto” as Merit calls it runs in newspapers across the country announcing their existence. How do you think you would react? If you were hesitant to believe initially, what would it take to convince you they were real? 

I don't want vampires to exist in real life. I like them just fine in my books, but not roaming the streets. I don't believe most of what I read in the newspaper or see it as only one side of the story, so I probably would need more facts before I could let go of my long held beliefs that vampires are the stuff of fairy tales and horror stories (and love stories). Seeing it, in person would make me believe it. I would have to meet a vampire and watch him in action, probably several times to really believe it. I say several times because I'm sure I would be passing out the first few times and miss the whole thing after the fangs come out!

2. Since being turned into a vampire means complete removal from your former life and a new job serving your House in some capacity, what do you think you would miss most about the life you live now?

Reading and blogging of course!! And my family and my dogs.  What would I do without them? How could they take me away from my family? I don't think the trade off equals to leaving them behind.
I'd be as mad as Merit was about leaving her old life behind!

3. What are your first impressions of Merit and how she’s handling all the changes in her life?

I absolutely love Merit! Right from the start. She's witty and determined and is resistant to having things taken from her when she didn't have a say.  I think the way she's portrayed is realistic to how a person with her characteristics would react. She has strong emotions and she lets everyone know about it!  I think denying it is normal and then trying to have it on her terms is her M.O. for most things so it's understandable that she handles the changes in her life that way.  

4. When you first read the description of Ethan, what actor/model/person you know pops into your head as the perfect embodiment of him? Feel free to include pictures ;-) 

This guy:

Ever since you put his picture up on your blog as your picture of what Ethan looked like, this is Ethan to me!  I can't get him out of my mind.  By the way, this picture is straight from Jenny's blog!  Her border and everything.  I don't even know the actor's name, I just call him Ethan!!  Don't tell my husband.

5. Do you think Merit’s anger at Ethan himself, not the situation, is justified?

Oh, that's a toughie!  If he hadn't done what he did, she'd be dead.  But she didn't ask to be a vampire. Still, if she wants to be dead, there are ways to die, even as a vampire. I think Merit has too much to live for to have really wanted to die.  I think in time she'll come to realize that.  But it's kind of hard not to be angry at Ethan when he's so arrogant and smug and self assured and thinks he's all that and sexy and ...I think you get the picture.  He's easy on the eyes, it's just when he puts on the attitude that it gets a little hard to take.  So I can say she's justified in being angry at him, just maybe not for changing her. 

Super questions Jenny!!  I really enjoyed reading this book.  I love Merit and her friendship with her roommate Mallory and her Gramps!  And Merit's wicked sense of humor!!  I'm so glad I joined in the read along.

Just so my followers know.  I would recommend this book for an older YA crowd. There is a lot of sexual tension, and one sex scene but I wouldn't say it's explicit.  The characters are older, in college, so it's an older crowd.  Use your best judgement. I was certainly reading worse at 13 or 14 as my parents didn't censor what I read.  The story is mainly Merit coming to terms with being a vampire and it's got great characters and dialogue and humor.  It's one of those crossover books that I want to place into the older YA crowd so that college YA lovers and beyond don't have to read about teenagers, yet it still has all the things I love about YA.

Come back next week, same day, Tuesday January 10th for more questions and personal answers.
This is definitely a series I'll be reviewing for you in the coming months!!

Many smiles,
Heather

13 comments:

  1. Gosh - that pic is of one hot guy :) *blush* Happy New Year Heather. This book does sound my kind of YA the more I read about it. I have so much to read already though, I have no idea when I'd get round to reading it. Signing up to be a beta-reader/reviewer takes me away form impulsive reads more and more. I'm reading Vampires for Christmas for review - ITs not bad so far. I treated myself to the latest True Blood novel (okay but thought it'd be better) and Ripper: Stephan's Diaries (not very good actually) over the holidays - back to 'work' :) X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, our delicious Ethan pictured above is named Gabriel Aubry - just putting that out there should you want to look him up and drool some more ;-) So glad you're enjoying the series Heather, I love Merit so much! And Ethan. Even though he is definitely smug and arrogant. And sexy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad Im not the only who loves vampires but wants them only alive in the pages of a book...:D

    They would scare the pants off me!!! I meet a guy who thought he was a vampire once, (he was a freak) but even his pretending gave me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think you'd have to leave them behind - I mean, Mer got to stay with Mallory in their lovely townhouse! And HEATHER! OF COURSE you would want vamps in real life!!! OM NOM NOM!

    See, I didn't read Ethan as arrogant. I read him as pragmatic. I also read him as way hawt, which you and I seem to agree, so that's all that matters, teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shah-
    Is Ripper-Stephan's Diaries as in Vampire Diaries? Isn't that one that LJ Smith isn't writing anymore? Hmm. If so that's interesting.

    Jenny- Saw some more dreamy pictures of Gabriel on another blog while I was commenting, one of them in which he was wearing ALL BLACK just like Ethan! I know he's supposed to look like Beckham but I prefer Babriel, I mean Gabriel!

    Tina- Yes, I love my vampires in my books. LOVE them there. Not walking on the streets. I understand changing is optional and drinking from me is voluntary. Still don't want them to be real! And "he thought he was a vampire"? Did you have him committed? That is totally scary!!

    Linds-First, thanks for the heads up that Raw Blue will be out on Kindle! YAY!!
    I know I can spend time with my family, but can you imagine watching my kids grow old and die? I've heard the worst thing a parent can do is have to bury their own child even if it's at a ripe old age of 90. Nope, I'm going first! See, you don't have kids yet so it's different for you. And I can't change them they are 11 and 15.
    No way I'm keeping them this way forever!! (love you boys!!)

    But yes, yes indeed, vampires are hot. Never thought the Twilight ones were, but after the JR Ward books, how could I not? HAWT is right! So, maybe as long as they aren't scary. And I could wear something that kept them from drinking from me. An Aspen stake seems a little bulky!

    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my first reaction to Ethan was this: OMG, he's so HOT and a second later OMG he's such as arrogant prick as soon as he opened his mouth. What I love about this series is nothing is what it seems. There's still vague details about what actually happened and that changed my mind as I read the other books. But initally, I was ticked off as much as her too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny's pick for Ethan is definitely a fabulous one!!

    I agree with you about question 5. I don't think Merit is truly angry with Ethan, I mean he did save her life like you pointed out... but I think there is anger at what happened to her in general, and unresolved feelings to having to deal with a life she didn't choose. And I think Ethan was obviously in the right to save her life, but he's also not as understanding as he could be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely like my vampires in books, too. They can stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Linds on Ethan being pragmatic, but he's also a guy that knows how delicious he is, and isn't shy about it. His need to be right paired against Merit's is what had them at each other's throats all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rummanah Aasi- I loved how hot Ethan was!! Again thanks to Jenny for the visual aids. I don't think I've ever been so stuck on a picture! Anyway, I had the same exact reaction to Ethan. But, I haven't read the rest of the series. I DID read a serious spoiler on a review on Amazon and had to get some clarification from Jenny before I decided to proceed with the series. I mean a serious spoiler! So nothing is as it seems...truly even more intrigued. Thanks for that tidbit!

    Ashley- Yeah, all's I'm saying is show a little empathy. Her world has been turned upside down and not by her choosing. Basically she was almost murdered and then it was saving by Vampire. Hard on a girl, you know!

    Amanda- Yes, I am not like Missie. Vamps in books. Perhaps we should make our own shirts!

    Missie- What can I say? Pragmatic/Arrogant Prick
    You know maybe they just look the same kind of like Shy and Stuck Up look the same. I'll try to keep an open mind. How's that?

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha yeah, I think vampires are better left in the books too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I say several times because I'm sure I would be passing out the first few times and miss the whole thing after the fangs come out!"

    LMAO! Imagining ^ that! Great responses. DeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome answers. Fainting is on my list too but I think I would probably faint if any of the fictional vampire characters were real. -_-

    I say keep reading and blogging even if you turn into a creature of the night. That way you can read faster blog faster... Can you imagine finishing double/triple of what you read as a human!!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva