Week Four Discussion Questions: Chapters 13-15 + epilogue
1. Chapter 13 opens with Merit describing her new job routine as House Sentinel. Considering that every job at Cadogan House is important in helping to make the house run efficiently, which job do you think you'd like to have (guard, cook, social director, gardener, etc.) and why?
Is there a job that you could lay around and read all day? Probably not. How about house historian. They must need someone like that. Catalog the days events. Get the history of newbies they just initiated into the house. Record the recent events. That would be the job I'd like to have. Something to do with writing and my mind. Yeah, so maybe I made it up, but somebody has to keep that Cannon up to date!
2. In the supernatural world of Chicagoland Vampires, politics seem to play an important role in the way the Houses are run. Now that you've been introduced to the Rogues, do you think it's better for vampires to be a part of a House or to live outside of one.
For the vampires, I'd say live in a house. Yes they have to follow rules, but I think it's safer for them. If a murder happens, as it does in the book, they won't be rounded up and thrown in jail just because they don't have a house. To me the house seems kind of like a union. They get medical, dental and a lawyer if they need one!
3. After Morgan openly asks to court Merit, she feels betrayed when Ethan commands her to accept for the show of alliance it could bring to Cadogan House. Do you think her reaction was warranted?
Hell yes! Here it seems they have feelings, or at least attraction to each other and he's basically saying
you have to date this guy for the good of the house. He doesn't ask if she likes him or if it's okay, he's basically rejecting her and forcing her to pretty much prostitute herself out to Morgan all in one command, not that she has to sleep with him, but still. It's like a slap in the face.
4. When Ethan meets with the perpetrator of the murders, were you surprised to discover who it was? If you suspected someone, were your suspicions correct? What did you think of the perpetrator's motive?
Celina was always suspicious, but I didn't think Amber would betray him. She didn't seem to have the brains for it. And that a rogue did the killings was no surprise. But Celina's reasoning was that of a madwoman, which is often the case. There was no way it would work. They should have stayed hidden to begin with and everyone would have been much safer.
5. What was your favorite/least favorite parts of Some Girls Bite?
My favorite part was when Merit challenged Ethan to a fight and held her own. Actually it was always when she stood up to him. I loved the banter back and forth. She was gutsy and I liked her for it.
My least favorite, and I know I'm going against the grain here is Mallory and Catcher together. Alone, I could accept them, even like them, but the constant groping and fighting and PDA just turned me off.
6. What do you think is coming up next for Merit, Sentinel of Cadogan House? Will you continue reading this series, and if so, what do you hope to see happen in the next book?
I'm pretty sure Merit is going to be tested in ways she never imagined as Sentinel. I don't know what those ways are, but I know they won't be easy or fun. And yes, I plan to continue reading the series. I really enjoyed it. I love these read alongs! When is the next one?
Thanks Missie! These were great questions and thanks to everyone that participated! I had so much fun answering the questions and thinking more about the novel than I might have otherwise. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else answered the questions!