Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Guardian (Creepy Hollow #1) by Rachel Morgan

Guardian 
Creepy Hollow Book One
By Rachel Morgan
Available Soon


1. Receive assignment. 
2. Save a life. 
3. Sleep. 
4. Repeat. 

Protecting humans from dangerous magical creatures is all in a day’s work for a faerie training to be a guardian. Seventeen-year-old Violet Fairdale knows this better than anyone—she’s about to become the best guardian the Guild has seen in years. That is, until one of her assignments—a human boy who shouldn’t even be able to see her—follows her into the fae realm. Now she’s broken Guild Law, a crime that could lead to her expulsion. 

The last thing Vi wants to do is spend any more time with the boy who got her into this mess, but the Guild requires that she return Nate to his home and make him forget everything he’s discovered of the fae realm. Easy, right? But Nate and Vi are about to land themselves in even bigger trouble—and it’ll take all Vi’s training to get them out alive. 



First thing you need to know is that the publication date for this novelette, as the author calls it is March 5th. It was 9 chapters on my Kindle and didn't take any time to read at all which was really kind of nice. Sometimes you want a story like that. But this story is far from concluded. It's wrapped up, but you know it's just the beginning of a much bigger story. The author, Rachel Morgan, plans to publish one novelette a month in the series, I'm guessing around the same amount of words.

So, you've got the book synopsis. Basically Violet fights the bad faeries in the human world. So how does she know where to go? The seers have a basic idea of where to go and who to protect. So that's why she's sitting in Nate's room while he lies drooling on his math book. (Bet he'd be embarrassed if he knew she saw that!) Then the reptiscilla shows up and goes after the sleeping Nate and just like that, the fight is on between Violet and the serpent woman. But, of course, Nate is woken up and when all the fighting is over he asks Violet what that was. Violet is shocked. The number one rule of the Guild is Never Bring a Human into the Fae Realm. The number two rule is Never Reveal Yourself to a Human. But she checks her Glamour and its still there so he's just one of those humans who can see through it. She pretty much convinces him he's dreaming and is making a door on the wall to leave when she falls on the Faerie Path only to have him fall on top of her. He's grabbed hold of her shirt and followed her into Faerie. Now, not only does she have a lot of explaining to do, she's got to take him home, the long way around, he may not survive another trip on the Faerie Paths.

That's all the story I can tell you, since it's so short, but I'll tell you this, in nine short chapters, they form a quick bond, not love, but a "we're in this together" type of bond or "I got you into this I'm gonna help get you out". I'm not sure which. And they do go through quite a bit for such a short time so it's action packed. The story is told from Violet's point of view, though I do wish I could hear it from Nate's point of view, too as he's seeing Faerie for the first time. And there are a whole host of characters that we meet in this short novelette and already I don't trust most of them. Not until they've proven themselves otherwise. Morgan has written it so you only know that you can trust Violet and Nate and even people that come to their aide, you're not so sure about.

Character development is a little lean, but again, since it's such a short piece, it's hard to develop the characters. I like Violet, but she has a hard edge to her. She's lost a lot in her 17 years, not just her parents. But she isn't afraid to expose some of this to Nate. Nate seems a bit youngish, but maybe he's just naive not having visited Faerie before so he doesn't know what can happen.

I'm so looking forward to the next installment of the Guardian. There is a lot of information at the website and a blog tour starting March 6th. I'll have Rachel Morgan on my blog for an interview on March 14th. I hope you'll take a look at Guardian when it publishes. I think you'll very much enjoy it!

Heather

4 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH, Heather, for reviewing GUARDIAN as part of your fairy week. And I'm really glad you enjoyed it :-)

    xx R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asu ususal my friend, this is a wonderful review that makes me wish to read it. However, I'm not such a big fan of Short Stories, or Novella's but I might give this one a shot.
    The story itself sounds great and I do love a good Fairy book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rachel! I'm really going to love following this story!

    Danny, this is kind of like a long story over several months. It ends at a good point, but is in no way complete. It's like reading a serial.
    I think you'd like this one, you'd love Nate, laying there drooling on his Algebra book. You'd think he was so cute!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I hadn't heard of this series yet. I think the short format and quick release schedule would be fun. I can't wait to see your interview, too!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva