Thursday, February 2, 2012

Review- Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Born Wicked
by Jessic Spotswood
Coming February 7, 2012
Putnam Juvenile

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship--or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word....especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction.
Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood-not even from each other. (from the back of the book)

Cate Cahill and her two sisters are  witches and no one knows. Not their lovable, absent father. Not the servants, no one in town.  And Cate has to keep it that way for the safety of her sisters.  Witches are hunted down and disappear from society in this alternate America. The sisters live in New England which started out as a place for religious freedom, but the witches got so strong they ruled over the men. So, the men locked them in their temples and burned them to the ground. Not many witches are suspected to have survived. But no one knows for sure.

Cate is very loyal to her mother and sisters and feels very responsible for keeping her sisters safe. But her sisters are a bit rebellious and love to practice their magic in the gardens outside. But it's risky and they could get caught.  With Finn Belastra in the gardens, it's likely he'll see them. But Cate has even bigger problems, does she choose to join the Sisterhood and be taken away from her sisters, unable to look after them or does she marry her best friend Paul who she thought would continue to live next door, but who now wants to move to the city. Or does she follow her heart and marry Finn Belastra, someone who the Brotherhood probably wouldn't approve of, but who accepts her entirely for who she is and might even accept her for what she is if she told him.

Cate at first is a little hard to like. She's nagging and not much fun and we don't understand why she's that way. But we soon learn why she's so uptight and why she's so hard on her sisters.  She's got a lot going on and she's got a heavy responsibility.  Then, the nosy neighbor next door convinces their father that a woman from the Sisterhood should come to school them in how to be ladies and have tea and make calls on the women of the small town they live in.  They also need lessons in other things. All three girls are appalled at this idea, but there is no choice in the matter. But things in the town aren't what they seem and neither is the Sisterhood.

This book is filled with double crosses, secrets and lies. Many cover ups and many questions left unanswered. The Sisterhood makes sure they get their way when they want it and are just as devious and scary as the Brotherhood.  Leaving the family in a tattered state, the ending is a huge cliffhanger and not the kind I like.  I'm going to be waiting on that cliff until the next novel comes out to see what happens!

This is a great novel and easy to read in one sitting.  It draws you into the story and you love following Cate around cheering her on in her pursuit of happiness and her ability to still fulfill her promise to her mother. The manipulations and machinations of everyone else in the town and beyond are a bitter pill to swallow.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!



  1. SO EXCITED TO READ THIS! I'm dying to get my hands on it:) Glad that even though Cate is a bit difficult to like in the beginning that you eventually come to understand why she's that way, and that revelation doesn't happen so late in the book that you can't quite muster up any sympathy for her at that point. Awesome review Heather!

  2. i like the secrets and lies aspect, sounds intriguing!

  3. Well, That sounds great!! I saw the book around but yours is the very first review I read about this! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely add it to my list.
    I guess what sold me was: "This book is filled with double crosses, secrets and lies."

  4. Eeeep! I just got this one for review and I can't wait to read it too! Though I'm not a big fan of the unanswered questions thing, but at least you've prepared me to expect it. Thanks Heather.

  5. I have this one on my pile and I think I'll be reading it next. I'm so happy to hear that you really enjoyed it and it makes me even more eager to read it!

  6. Ack! I'm so jealous! I've been dying to read this book. comes out next Tuesday!! I like the sound of "filled with double crosses, secrets and lies." Count me in! Great review :)

  7. I should have said I got the ARC from the Library Thing Early Reviewers and have been sitting on it for awhile! I'm not going to lie, I HATE the cliffhanger, but it doesn't take any time to fall in love with Cate. Especially when she's with Finn! He catches her up a tree where she's climbed one time and it's just so sweet! I love her with Finn!! He's got a great way of looking at the world. My kind of guy!

    Thank you for all your lovely comments and I really hope you love this one as much as I did! I think it will be a fantastic series!

    And Missie, You will be yelling at the book, I promise!


  8. Sounds exciting with all the "double crosses, secrets and lies." Not a big fan of the cliffhanger though.

  9. I love cliffhanger endings, but hate them just as much - well, if I have to wait too long for the next instalment at least :) But a cliffhanger ending shows the author has pulled you in and made you care, that they can build drama and add huge dollops of suspense. These are good books. Sounds fab. Great review Heather, as always :)

  10. Alyssa-

    It's worth the cliffhanger, believe me!

    Shah- does that mean you're writing a cliffhanger in your novel?? And oh yes, I'm interested!


  11. Sounds like a blast. I'm a sucker for unlikeable MC's who win me over.

  12. I've got my review for this one coming up tomorrow, but I agreed with pretty much every point you touched on. It was a really big cliffhanger, but one that had to happen I think. We can't have things all neat and tidy all the time now can we? :)
    - Jessica at Book Sake

  13. I didn't read your review because I'm reading the book right now and so I'm avoiding all reviews on it until I'm finished. But I'll come back when I'm done! :)


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva