Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review-Tempest by Julie Cross

Tempest
by Julie Cross
St. Martin's Griffin
Available Now



The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler. Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.

This is one of those stories that you have to let sink in. Almost every time travel novel I've read has been like that. Especially when they go back and forth at different times. Not just one jump, but several. It does get confusing, the how and the when and what it all means and it gets tiring like I was the one doing the jumping. So after I finished Tempest, I set it aside for a few days. Now, I'm ready to review it.

First, I really didn't get a chance to connect to Holly, the girlfriend. I just didn't have enough time with her to really feel a connection. I felt like Jackson was just going through the motions with her to get what he wanted. Not necessarily sex, but companionship. I think there was something real between them, I think she filled a need for him, but I'm not sure I can put a name on it.

I didn't really warm up to Jackson right away. I felt for him in his situation, but he didn't quite reach that place inside of me, not until much further in the book. Not until he needed to do something he hadn't done in the past and he did and God, was I tearing up trying not to cry. Once I do I'm done for. I can't seem to keep the grit out of my eyes. But that's when I hopped on the Jackson train. It was the most unselfish thing he'd done, and from then on he thought with his head.

He learns all kinds of crazy stuff about his family, things he never knew that really blow his mind. His dad isn't who he thought he was at all. People are trying to kill him or at the very least chase him and catch him. And this is all two years in the past where he's trying to keep Holly safe. It's a very fast paced novel and like I said all the time jumps and attempts to learn things about himself really keep you on your toes. The novel is 334 pages long, but could have been much longer. It was entertaining, but it didn't kill me at the end to close the last page despite the ending. There's closure of a sort, but I know we've only touched the surface. And Jackson with his best friend Adam have much to discover about his abilities and their effects on the world.

This novel begins with the characters in college so there is sex involved, probably a few swear words, not enough that I noticed. So use your best judgement. Definitely for the older YA reader. Also do not forget there is a lead in story, a prequel on Amazon called Tomorrow is Today.  It's free on Amazon and on Barnes and Noble.  So read those before the story! I'll definitely want to read the next in the series for several reasons, because of Emily, who you will find out about and to see what he does about Holly.  I'm a big Jackson fan at the end here.  He did something I could never do!

11 comments:

  1. Hmm, I read this book, but I'm struggling to remember what he did which would have swayed your belief in him and make him so likable? I thought the story was confusing, because of all the time jumping. I will be continuing the story because I do want to know what it all means and especially who Emily is, though I have my idea. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did love Jackson right away! I found his voice refreshing and for a College boy really mature. I loved how he befriended the "Geek" and I loved him in his relation with Holly.
    But, what he did at the end... this was heroic and so selfless, I had tons of water in my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I'm not solon this one. I've read about it elsewhere too. Time-travel. I think it's that. Mmm? And not liking the lead is off putting. And not forming ties with other mains too. Although Danny appears to have loved it. This is the kind I'd get on a freebie day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina- I get who Emily is, for the most part. But she can go either way. But, I thought by not hurting someone, he saved her. If that makes any sense and therefore, he took the hard road.

    Danny- I just thought he was selfish at first until he started doing everything to protect Holly, but he was still leaving Adam out there. Until her finally makes a decision that is totally unselfish do I finally like him. Then I think he's the sweetest thing since chocolate ice cream! And I had a lump in my throat at the end, too.

    Shah-
    It really is a good novel. I recommend it. It's a thinking novel trying to figure out all the threads. And at the end it makes you wonder what you would do. I've never had a hard time connecting to a male character especially when the book is from the male POV, but I think it was because I couldn't predict what he was going to do.
    It's a great YA time travel novel, but there are better YA time travel novels. Ruby Red is my all time favorite but, if you want one that makes you think- Try Hourglass! That will knock your socks off!!

    Heather

    Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really was a teaser-type review! Which is great, cos obviously you don't want to spoil it for those (like me) who haven't read it yet. I always get a bit confused in time travel movies... I imagine a book would be better cos I could slow down and take the time to figure out what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really was a teaser-type review! Which is great, cos obviously you don't want to spoil it for those (like me) who haven't read it yet. I always get a bit confused in time travel movies... I imagine a book would be better cos I could slow down and take the time to figure out what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife - this sounds perfect to feed my time traveling appetite. I dig piecing together the time chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tempest was such a great read, one I definitely recommend. This was my second time travel book and I love how Tempest had it's own twists and history. I loved Jackson right away. He can time travel, but I loved him for being a normal, everyday guy. He has a girlfriend who he loves but doesn't know how to express it. He has an awesome best friend who is so loyal and random with his crazy theories. I will admit I cried a few times in the book, mostly scenes with him and Courtney, which were beautifully written. The action was great and wow the ending left me speechless. Another reason why I loved Jackson so much. I still have to read Tomorrow is Today and grr the next book in the series needs to come out sooner I am so dying to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I need to read this one again to follow everything that happened - especially at the end. Thanks for the link to the prequel! I hadn't seen that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, good to know about Tomorrow is Today - I haven't read that yet. That will give me a fix until the next book in the series comes out!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a huge fan of male POVs but it sounds like Jackson might be worth a chance (although it sounds like I might also need to be patient) and the time travel aspect is really cool. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva