Monday, March 19, 2012

Review- War of the Fae- The Changelings by Elle Casey

War of the Fae
 The Changelings
by Elle Casey

Jayne Sparks, a potty-mouthed, rebellious seventeen-year-old and her best friend, shy and bookish Tony Green, have a pretty typical high school existence, until several seemingly unrelated incidents converge, causing a cascade of events that change their lives forever. Jayne and Tony, together with a group of runaway teens, are hijacked and sent into a forest, where nothing and no one are as they seem. Who will emerge triumphant? And what will they be when they do? 

Well, I don't think that description does justice to what the book is really about. Obviously it has something to do with the Fae, but not the Fae you might be thinking about, no, not faeries.
If you're looking for a fairy tale, this isn't the book for you. If you're looking for an adventure with Jayne, I think the snarkiest girl in all of YA-dom, then you've come to the right place. Here's why I liked this novel.

Jayne! Jayne could talk all day and I wouldn't get tired of her. She's like a maniac with that mouth of hers. And when it's not going her inner dialogue is and it's just as much fun. It's not all fun and games, but it is all adventure and I totally admire Jayne for not turning back, for never giving up on her friends and for her innate sense of distrust. Her life has not been easy, but she is not a whiner. Not at all. She just kind of doesn't fit in. Here is an example of why I liked her right away. She's in some boring class and as the teacher drones on she's tattooing her hand with her pen no paper on her desk at all. Her teacher walks back to her desk and asks what she's doing and she says she's taking notes. "Where are these so-called notes?" he asks. And Jayne points to her head and says, "Right here Mr. Parks; it's all riiiight here." Of course she gets sent to the dean for her attitude but not before sticking out her tongue at the girl scowling at her "because I'm not all that mature and I still enjoy doing the things that cracked me up when I was ten." This is Jayne through the book. She grows up definitely, but she still keeps a sense of humor which is definitely needed.



Tony! Tony is not swoon worthy. Not without a makeover it sounds like. But inside, he is right off the cover of GQ. He would do anything to protect Jayne and does. He's shy and I think they are just best friends. And he goes to the ends of the earth, literally, to be with her. He's had a hard life, but he doesn't dwell on it. He and Jayne are perfect best friends.

The test. The test is something else. This is where the actual adventure is. It's brutal and you really don't know who to trust and what to trust and who is going to make it. There are things in the forest that can attack at any time. Jayne discovers unknown abilities. Tony's new found abilities increase. Jayne and Tony stick together because they want to get out of the forest as fast as they can. At first, the test is all about money, but soon for Jayne it's about getting her hands on the man that left them there and ringing his neck. I was tense reading this part of the book waiting for the next attack the whole time. I think I was more relaxed when they were captured or being attacked because I knew where things were coming from than when they were just walking along.

The ending was heartbreaking and uplifting if you can believe it. Choices are made and surprises are discovered and I have already purchased Book Two Call to Arms
. The author has promised that the heartbreak won't last! It better not because it just wasn't something I was expecting at all.

So why do I think you would want to read this book. It's as close to reading Survivor as I've ever read with Paranormal beings in it. (I must admit I have not read The Hunger Games but these people don't have to kill each other.) They are given backpacks with some small supplies but not enough and no information about what they'll face. It was surprising and different and the Fae that entered into the story were nothing I'd ever read about before. A lot is explained at the end and Jayne's inner and spoken diatribe is worth it just for how funny she is. I loved this novel. Elle Casey is a creative and extremely entertaining writer. Don't miss this one!

I received a copy of this free of charge from the author for a fair and honest review. This in no way influenced my opinions.

Now, go buy it and have a good read!

Heather

23 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the GREAT review! Glad you liked the book. Be sure to let me know what you think about #2. BTW, Book #3 will be out on March 31st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know as soon as I get it read!

      Heather

      Delete
  2. There's something about being a teen and being snarky. They go hand in hand. I think you did a better job in getting to the root of the story than the book's description. I'm a bit surprised that the best friend isn't swoonworthy, they usually are! Interesting book. Thanks for bringing the book to my attention, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rummanah- I know teens are supposed to be rude, but Jayne is snark times ten. I really have never met anyone like her in YA. She definitely does not need saving. And she has this mouth! I'd say it's less of a potty mouth and just more of a mouthy mouth. I didn't remember a lot of swearing. She had me laughing at the false bravado, but she could back up her words, too.
      Yeah, the best friend is a complete geek and not a cute geek. You should read the description.

      Delete
  3. I have this one and haven't started it yet but with your review, I'm on it! It sounds amazing Heather!

    Wonderful review and you know I like my snark! Thanks so much for sharing this :o]

    but I don't like the heartbreak part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi-
      The heartbreak isn't overwhelming. And the snark it's so much fun! Read it!

      SFAM

      Delete
  4. I think Jayne and I would be friends if she were real. I love a girl with a smart mouth, because, I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I have a smart mouth too. Sometimes it gets me in trouble:) Really curious about an ending that's both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time, seems like a must read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought with a name like Supernatural Snark that only sugar came out of your mouth! Well, I am truly disturbed by what I have learned. Truly. But, you and Jayne would LOVE each other. She always has the best lines! I wish I could come up with those lines! You really have to read this. You will love it!

      Heather

      Delete
  5. Wow such an awesome Review! Thank you!!! And... I want to meet Jayne! I do love snarky characters so so so much! I would have never picked this book up myself, but, with your review, this might change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Okay here's another quote, Inner Dialogue this time-
      Team quaterback and jerk of the century is hassling Tony and Jayne as they walk home from school- Here is what Janye is saying in her mind. "Brad Powers strikes again. He not only spends his time wooing the hearts of assistant deans and teachers everywhere, he also likes long walks on the beach, reading poetry, and making students who don't look like Barbie dolls feel like complete a-holes." Out of context it's not quite as funny, but in the story it's very funny.

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm... this one DOES sound interesting and Jayne DEFINITELY sounds like my kind of gal! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love Jayne! And the story is amazing!

      Heather

      Delete
  7. This is why I need you Heather. To introduce me to book and characters I haven't heard of before. Jayne sounds like a special kind of fun! I look forward to getting to know her for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is Missie. See I need you for the Book Boyfriends. You need me for the Snarky Girls! I do what I can.

      Heather

      Delete
  8. jayne sounds like quite a character! thanks for the review, heather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I've heard of this book, but like everyone else has already said, Jayne sounds like quite the main character! I haven't quite decided whether I'll be picking this one up for sure yet, but I'm definitely going to be looking into it some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd think about it! It's pretty cheap on Kindle and you've got nothing but some time to invest. It's a fun story- Survivor in the paranormal world, with a snarky Jayne Oh, and something makes her really angry about 2/3 through. Don't wanna make her angry.

      Heather

      Delete
  10. SNARK! Okay, you got me there. I loves me some snark! She sounds like a character I'd really enjoy reading. I think I'd read it just to get to know her more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SNARK, SNARK, SNARK! Throughout the whole book! It is YA and there is no romance, but I think the test and the paranormal aspects and the snark would more than make up for it.

      Heather

      Delete
  11. Oh, a heartbreaking ending? *curious* I love that you loved the characters so much and that test definitely has me intrigued as well. ;o And survivor with paranormal creatures in it? LOL, I'm so liking this more and more. Awesome review! You definitely piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, it wasn't that heartbreaking, but it kind of was. It depends on how emotionally invested you get in it. I was somewhat, but I have insider info. So you know...
      The test is nothing short of torture! You should try it!

      Heather

      Delete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva