Monday, April 16, 2012

Immortal City by Scott Speer

Immortal City
by Scott Speer
Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them.

He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery.

Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love.

Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat & and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson.


I have to say I was kicking myself for picking this one up. I am over angels. And for the first few chapters, I was still over angels, but then I flipped to the inside jacket of the book and read,  "Set in  a reimagined Los Angeles that sparkles with glamour and celebrity worship, Scott Speer's Immortal City is charged with passion and haunted by themes of power and idolatry."  Then, I got it. All the expensive cars and hero worship and Rodeo drive and designer name dropping and the beautiful people. And all the worshiping of the Angels, the networks dedicated to it, the paparazzi, the nonstop talk among Maddy's friends at high school about Jackson Godspeed. What had seemed over the top became more meaningful when Jackson and Maddy's worlds collide.  It is ridiculous, the worship of the Angels, but who wouldn't want a Guardian Angel? Who wouldn't want to go through life knowing that someone was there always to snatch them from the jaws of death?  Of course only the very, very rich can afford a Guardian Angel and there are only so many to go around so the demand is high and their cost is even higher.

It seems a bit outrageous doesn't it?  Angels taking money to protect people?? Yeah, well some people in Immortal City think so too.  Maddy for one. Especially people who didn't have their families saved by Guardian Angels. Can you imagine if your mother was in a drunk driving accident and the drunk driver was saved by a Guardian Angel, but your mother died because she couldn't afford protection even though the Angel could have saved her.  You see how some people might hold a grudge against the Guardian Angels.

The main characters are likable enough. Maddy was too insecure to believe Jacks, Jackson Godspeed's nickname, would have any real interest in her, and that got a little annoying. Jacks was a little too self absorbed to see what her problem was. Again, some of Speer's more subtle ways of pointing out what worship and idolatry does to both ends of the spectrum. But once the action starts, I really couldn't put the book down and forgot about Angels. This was less about Angels and more a mystery and Maddy and Jacks defying the odds and breaking the rules. I do love rule breakers and those Guardian Angels had some very strict rules. And the penalty for them was very high.  That's all I'll say, but even if you're tired of Angels, and I was, give this one a try. It is not the same worn out story. It's got Guardian Angels as A-list celebrities and the only one that can rub elbows with them are the elite rich.  And then the up and coming star falls for a nobody and a non-Angel and you've got a story with unbelievable twists and turns and I mean that literally and figuratively! It's a great start to a new series.  I can't wait for the next novel!

Heather

10 comments:

  1. Hrm, I'm always weary of angel books with great covers. I've been burned quite a bit by them. I'm going to pass on this one because I can't take it seriously even it's purposeful outrageous plot. If it was a TV show, I may tune in for an episode or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely. I may be one of the few people that doesn't see the appeal of Unearthly, no offense to everyone that loves it. But the outrageous worship of the Angels in this one made me kind of hate them so I was able to like the story a lot. It was anti angel!

      Delete
  2. I'm really loving the premise of this one...the whole concept of Guardian Angel insurance is kind of intriguing. I just saw the trailer the other day and it was stunning, I'm hoping to have time to read this one soon! Glad that even though you were completely over angels, this one still worked for you:) Fabulous review Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I haven't seen the trailer. I'll have to look for it. I think the anti Angel thing worked for me.

      Delete
  3. I don't mind angel books, but yea... sometimes they are redundant. Same with other paranormal creatures. So glad this one was a bit different. Sounds like something I do need to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Melissa, this one is definitely different. The angels are not pure and innocent nor are they deadly, just really greedy! They are kind of like movie stars only I think movie stars have some humanity left.

      Delete
  4. Sounds really good! I loooove the cover for this one and I keep seeing it everywhere. Glad I finally know what it's about :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this one at walmart and was wondering why I hadn't heard of it. I'm not really into angels these days so I didn't pay it much attention, but your review really has me intrigued, it has such an interesting sounding premise. I think I might have to read it now! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really different. I'm so over angels too...but I like the concept! Hmmmm...I just might have to read this. I'm interested in reading about the re-imagined LA and A-list celeb guardian angels! Btw...I need to mail you your book. I'm so lacking in stuff like that lately. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed... it was the same for me. This article was really excellent for all of us. virginia orthodontist

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva