Friday, May 11, 2012

Review- Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon
by Anna Banks
Published by Feiwel and Friends

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 

Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


First I'd just like to take a moment and say that this cover could be a work of art hanging on my wall.  It really is beautiful with the bubbles and the long white dress flowing behind  Emma like a tale and yet not.  And her white blond hair as if she's flying and she is in a way, flying through the water. And that title is just right! So yes, I'm swoony over the cover already!  But we know that books don't always live up to their covers. 

But, in this case, the book more than lives up to the cover! I was bowled over with how truly great this story was and how well it was told.  Two friends, Chloe and Emma spending the last days of their summer on vacation in the tranquil waters of the Gulf of Mexico. sharing a surfboard. They're laughing at Emma's complete lack of grace which she had just demonstrated when she ran cheek first into Galen, the most gorgeous of boys either has ever seen.  Must be the siren in him.  Then the tranquility and happiness is shattered with the deadly strike of a shark.  


Emma dreads senior year.  But is shocked to find Galen in her class, all her classes and that he remembers her.  Not only does he remember her, but seems to have a special interest in her. Their relationship, to me , is what makes this novel work so beautiful.  There are cover ups, and lies and deceptions, and pretending. Galen is torn between what he wants and what he should do. There is a huge mystery, that unfortunately I saw through right away, but hopefully not everyone will.  It is such a huge romance story, I think that eclipses the rest of the story. Or maybe I just wanted a great romance, I'm not sure.  As I read it, I felt like I was reading Starcrossed by Josie Angelini.  It's that big sweeping story with a mythology behind it and incredible stories to support secrets of the world and stories we've grown up on.

I loved all the characters. Emma was warm and caring, protective. I really liked her. She learned how to find her anger and use it. And she doesn't let herself get pushed around. I really, really liked her. She's someone you can root for, and stand behind, I'm team Emma if there was someone she was up against.

And Galen, whoa! Galen definitely has my attention. From the time Emma has her face plastered against  his bare chest.  He is, to quote a friend "hot fish on a stick!"  And yes, he's extremely possessive, arrogant telling Emma she is one of his subjects, and extremely attractive, most of the girls in Emma's school follow him around like a school of fish!

But the story is more than just the romance, is about finding Emma's roots, is she or isn't she Syrena, who in her family was Syrena, was she adopted, can she grow a tail, will she have all the traits of a Syrena?  

Okay, you all know when I really love a book I don't write a very good review and I'm still riding the good feelings after having read this one two days ago. I just loved it! I love mermaid stories (Sorry Galen and Toraf!) and this seems to be my year!  This one delivered everything I wanted and more!  I absolutely want the next one yesterday!  Ms Banks- may I please be a BETA READER for you? PLEASE????

Thank you to the publishers Feiwel and Friends for the ARC  through NetGalley. I received it at no cost but it in no way influenced my review.

It's going swimmingly ,
Heather

23 comments:

  1. Lovely review! I'm really glad that this is very high on my tbr-pile at the moment, because after reading your review I'm dying to get to it even more. :D Thanks for sharing! :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy it popped up on my list for the month. I scooted it ahead so I could look forward to my month. I knew it was going to be awesome so I moved it up! Definitely worth it. I'll have to get my own copy.

      Heather

      Delete
  2. Yay! Glad you loved this one too Heather! I was dying laughing at some of Emma's inner monologue when she first ran into Galen - she's hysterical:) I saw through the mystery element really early as well, but luckily it didn't take away from the story for me, the characters were fabulous and that was enough for me. Can't wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that she counted One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi whenever she was getting upset. And her inner diaglogue was great! She was such a great character. They all were. Just don't make her mad!

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one! I'm on the fence about 'mermaid' stories in general, but I've heard good things and am looking forward to Of Poseidon. Also, I totally agree with you on the gorgeous cover. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one would change your mind. It's not the little mermaid, at all. Totally different kind of story. Great mythology. I don't know your tastes, but it's just a great all around story.

      Delete
  4. I was really hoping this would be a good mermaid-ish story and I'm glad to say that it mostly lives up to that. Your review and enthusiasm definitely has me wanting to read this one. Looking forward to the book's release date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it Rummanah. I think the little mystery part is transparent, but may not be to everyone. To you, yes. But it in no way takes away from the story. I hope you love it, too!

      Delete
  5. *jumps up and down and claps hands* (seriously. imagine me doing this..)
    You know how much I LOVVVEDDD this book, like so freaking much. I want Emma as a friend, I loved her and Galen??? Sex-on-Fishtails - that's how I called him, because he's epically awesome.
    so soooo happy you loved it hon!!!! Wooooho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what you called him! I couldn't find it when I looked! Sex on Fishtales by my good friend Danny! I thought it was so funny at the time! I thought this was one of the best books I've read so far this year!

      Delete
  6. I'm in the middle of reading this book and I'm so enjoying it. MERbooks! SQUEE!! I've been looking for some good ones. Looks like I found one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and i thought i already wanted to read this one really bad!! now i MUST read it NOW!! LOL, thanks for the great review, heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really must read it NOW! NOW! NOW!

      Heather

      Delete
  8. Yeah I saw the mystery stuff pretty quickly but I was okay with that. I thought Galen was a really great character though. He was one I wouldn't forget quickly just cause his personality and cluelessness was so great. I also really loved the world of the Syrena. I'm not a big fan of mermaid books but this one has me thinking I will read more now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, they seem to run the gamut, mermaid stories. This one was very different. Another really good one that's older is The Mermaid's Mirror by L K Madigan. She lost a battle with cancer while she was working on a sequel or toying with the idea. I loved that story.
      Then there are the ones that focus on the girls as the main story. Ripple by Mandy Hubbard was a great story, too.

      Delete
    2. I read The Mermaid's Mirror and it wasn't my thing. I knew Lisa a little so I don't advertise the fact, but it just wasn't for me.
      I have been wanting to try Ripple. I need to catch up more then maybe I can get it from the library.

      Delete
  9. I love when you love a book, I can feel the excitement in your review! I haven't read this one yet, but it's going on the list!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad you can get something out of the review! I feel like I'm making no sense! But I can't say what I want to say.

      Delete
  10. I don't usually read books with mermaids, but I don't think I could resist the humor in this one, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go. And how did Emma get so luck to plaster her face against Galen's chest? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a klutz! Maybe you should try it on the beach!!

      Delete
  11. Okay- this is now the second AMAZING review I have read of this book- I HAVE to get it now! Thanks!
    I love mermaid books :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I missed seeing this one on Netgalley! Epic fail on my part. I'm glad to hear it's a good story, though. It's on my list of books to read this summer. I just hope I can beat the teenyboppers to the YA section at the library! They get very possessive of their books when the "old" people walk in. =)

    I'm curious... Is the Syrena in the story the same as the Syrena from old mermaid lore? There's a book by Donna Jo Napoli (I think that's her name) titled Sirena that I've been wanting to read, but it's out of print. I'd like to read both of these books and then compare the underlying stories. You know how much I enjoy doing that!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva