Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Review- Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker

UNBREAK MY HEART
BY MELISSA WALKER
Bloomsbury
May 22nd
From Publisher for Review
Summary from GoodReads:
Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. 

Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. 

Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart?

Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to.



This was a nice pleasant summer read. It not quite being summer, I didn't get to enjoy it by the pool or outside but the feeling was the same. Clem made a mistake and fell for her best friend's boyfriend. But everyone seemed to forget that there were two people that did something wrong. Actually it was more of a flirtation and Clem tried to stop it. Her best friend, Amanda, blamed her for something that never happened. And everyone chose a side. Not Clem's. But it wouldn't matter because Clem thinks she's the worst person in the world. Even if you chose her side, she'd push you away. She wouldn't take your comfort. She is sure she is the worst person on the face of the earth.  


This is one of those books that reminds me of how MAJOR everything seems when you're a teenager. It reminds me of how great that first kiss was and how awful that first breakup was. How bad it felt to not get asked to the dance and how great it felt to go out on my first date. How BIG everything felt. And how it was all about ME.  Because when I was a teenager, the world revolved around me. I was so focused on fitting in and being what everyone wanted the slightest blip was a huge ordeal. And that's where Clem is right when the story starts. The world has shut down because she made a mistake and her best friend unfriended her on Facebook and her heart is broken.


Thankfully she's spending the summer on a sailboat with her family instead of skulking around the house or her job at the mall. But spending time on a small boat with her family doesn't give her a lot of grieving time or feeling sorry for herself and then there is this cute happy, puppy dog like guy that is at every stop they make that gets under her skin and his mood is kind of contagious. He was contagious off the page as much as on the page. I looked forward to reading about him. He and Clem, oh his name is James and he is an artist and sensitive, and Crazy Olive, Clem's little sister spend the summer together swimming, fishing, eating together and exploring. It's very sweet how James includes Olive in their outings and makes her feel welcome. 


The story goes back and forth between past and present as Clem tries to write a letter to Amanda about what happened and then she thinks back on the flirtation that went on between her and Ethan, Amanda's boyfriend. It's chronicled for us, though the big reveal is a bit of a disappointment considering all the fuss . But this is a very enjoyable coming of age story, at least I think that's what it's billed as. I'd say it's about a girl that makes a mistake and gets a blessed amount of time away from the situation to get a clearer picture of what really happened. With time and the love of her family, she's able to see things for what they really are and unbreak her own heart.  It's a lovely story with a sweet romance. I recommend it for anyone that loves romance or YA contemporary.


I do have to say that James has his own kind of heartbreak he is dealing with this summer and though he doesn't show it, he shares it with Clem. At one point in the story, he needs Clem's parents' help and I found myself sobbing through this part of the story. I really, really loved James with his happy attitude, always making people feel good, young and old. And in his time of crisis, I fell apart. My heart broke for him. I was really surprised that I had such a strong reaction, but I did. Sign of a great story, when it makes you cry!


I read the e-ARC of this one, but I'll be buying this one for the shelf so I can read it again. I think it's good to remember what it was like when I was a teen and how significant everything was.  And to remember, no matter what age you are, to lighten up on yourself. Remember that moms and dads.


                                                                                                 Heather

13 comments:

  1. Oh I didn't have this one on my radar but thanks to your review I do have it now on my list. It sounds cute and I actually like heartbreakign stories and a good romance! Thanks hon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is your kind of story Danny! I loved the title when I saw it on NG and had to have it! Thankfully they let me read it! You have to read it. You'll love it.

      Delete
  2. I so cannot wait to read this book! You explained it so well and I'm glad you really enjoyed it. It sounds like a perfect summer read. :D I buy most books in paperback now (this one is no exception), unless the book just does not get picked up for pb release, which sucks but then I have an excuse to get a hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved this one! I hope you love it too. I try to buy paperback, but if you buy them when they come out as soon as they are released, they are almost as cheap in hardcover as in paperback if you can get them from Amazon. I don't have a bookstore really close so I preorder. This one was just so sweet. I'm going to look for more of her books.

      Delete
  3. I look back at high school and think the same thing about how different everything was back then and how it was all about me. This book sounds like a great coming of age book that I am looking forward to reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a teen and my husband and I constantly butt heads because I try to make him remember what he was like when he was 15. I've heard the stories. Our teen is a saint in comparison. I am trying to hold onto what it was like so I can understand why he acts certain ways and wants certain things. I want him to talk to me when he gets older and not hate me. So I'm the understanding parent. I think reading contemporary YA helps, a lot!

      Delete
  4. I just adored this book too! I found Clem very sympathetic and I loved the back and forth between the past and the present. The way it unravelled kept me enthralled and turning the pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great way to tell the story instead of info dump. A good example of show don't tell! Did you cry? At that one part when James needed help? And yes Clem was absolutely sympathetic because she knew she was being mopey and felt bad about it but couldn't feel any different. She had a right to be.

      Delete
  5. Really love the sound of this one. My contemp reads thus far have been pretty good to *yawn*. This one sounds a lot like the Summer series by Jenny Han, which I recommend, especially if you haven't read them. I love books that leave you with a happy sigh. Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved the Summer series Rummanah! Wish I'd known you when I was reading it! Would have loved to discuss it with you! Absolutely adored it. This is somewhat like that but self contained. Wait, what? We don't have to wait a year for the next book?? Nope! Complete. She could spin another book, but I feel like it's complete.

      Delete
  6. Okay, I admit... I wasn't sure if I'd like this one since you mentioned sobbing (I hate to cry) but it still sounds so good! Especially if you are buying a copy. I don't read many contemps, but I'm so curious. Plus, I love that title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My original review didn't even have the sob scene in it, but I really felt like I ought to warn people and it has nothing to do with Clem's situation believe it or not. I would have cried for Clem, but that broken hearted teen is way to closed off to me now. But I could relate to her. It was one tiny scene, I promise.

      Delete
  7. Great review! You definitely made me interested in this one. I am curious about what hearbreak James has had that made you cry. You described this book (and time in life) beautifully.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva