Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review- The Selection by Kiera Cass

 The Selection
by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

First and foremost I have to say this is a fun book to read!  There is more flirting and romance in this book than in any dystopians I've read put together. And I loved it. It's light and fun, but not without it's tense moments. It's just the right amount of everything and the only fault I can find with it is that the next book isn't already here waiting for me to read it!

America Singer, named for America, the country that fought to stay independent and together and her last name just happens to be Singer. And guess what her talent is??? Yep, music, and besides playing instruments, she sings. No one ever brings that up in the book, but I think it's pretty ironic.  In any case, the America part is an apt name for her as well because she doesn't think much of the caste system that's in place in the country and she tells, Maxon, the prince, about the people starving to death sometimes or being beaten for trying to provide for their families.  She's definitely a girl thinking about the country and not just herself. She figures, if she's gonna be there, then she's gonna do some good. But I don't think that's sitting to well with the King.

And court politics, well I didn't expect that, but that has a lot to do with who is picked for Maxon's wife and as far as we can tell, America doesn't have a lot to offer. Yeah, she's musically talented and pretty, but that only gets you so far. There are others that have connections and money, it's just like it always is with alliances and marriages.  It makes me wonder why America was even chosen in the Selection in the first place unless it was just to show a token representation of some of the lower castes.

And then, to make things even more difficult, Aspen, the ex boyfriend shows up and shatters what little peace America has gotten in the month she's been at the palace.  She fled because of him and now he's here to break her heart all over again. Or is he?

And Maxon...le sigh.  He is one dreamy prince. He's smart, charming, funny and shy. He has no idea what he's doing when it comes to girls and yet, he learns very quickly how to flirt and shower attention on them.  I love the little flirtation he has going with America and how he confides in her.

While it was hard to feel really close to the characters or understand how they felt, you could sympathize with individual situations. Having your heart broken, being upstaged, sharing a guy with another girl (wouldn't do that), feeling like a bird in a cage. I think we can identify with some of these situations.

This was an amazingly fun book to read. I had a smile on my face most of the time I was reading and laughed at some of the situations America got herself into, especially as she had to recount what happened on live t.v. She and Maxon have chemistry, I just hope that's enough to keep her in the Selection.  I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a light romance with a historical/dystopian angle.


  1. I really like Maxon a lot; he kind of reminds me of Prince Kai from Marissa Meyer's Cinder, which I enjoyed a lot too. I do not like Aspen-I hated his reappearance even though I should have anticipated it. He broke America's heart so bad that he doesn't deserve another chance, IMO.

    1. Yeah, I have mixed emotions about him. I don't like guys with so much pride they can't get around it to see what they have!

  2. YAY HEATHER! I was so nervous to read your review, I was worried you wouldn't like and here I am all "it's such a fun book, READ IT!" I'm glad you enjoyed it, I loved Maxon and America (though not so much her name), and I can't wait to see what happens moving forward now that Aspen is in the picture. Fabulous review!

    1. I think she's named America for a reason, don't you? She's named for the country that fought for their independence then think what she's told Maxon and asked for in the book. I think there's a definite reason for it.

  3. The more I think about this book it totally reminds me of a mixture of "The bachelor", Cinderella with a dash of Matched thrown in there for good measure. I'm curious about this one and look forward to reading it. Thanks for reminding me to sit back and enjoy the book instead of holding it up to the bar to the other dystopians out there.

  4. Another great review for this book! I think I really do need to pick up this book. I didn't even know it was dystopian when I first saw the book cover. Oh I love a dystopian that makes you smile!

    1. Yes and it's not bleak and lots of bad stuff so get that out of your head. You kind of forget that it's a dystopian when you read it. Just enjoy the story!

  5. Hi! I'm an old gfc follower of yours. :)
    I'm sorry to bother you, but if you have time, Would you please visit my blog and follow me back?

  6. i'm so glad you enjoyed this one, heather! i already own it, now i just need a chance to read it!

  7. WE loved this book... We already talked about it, LOL! Nuff said there!

    I adored your review, it was so well put together and flowed nicely, as per usual, ya puppy fart! Me, jealous---What? pffft, no, you lily live- your lilyness! I meant, you're so silly!


    Huggles your face and your whole family!

  8. Thanks for this review! I loved this cover and the synopsis made me interested in the book, but I wasn't really sure what it was about. I was worried it would be fluffy and disappointing. Doesn't sound that way, though! I will need this one for my beach reading or plane ride to Alaska! =)


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva