Friday, June 29, 2012

In the Shadow of Vesuvius Excerpt by Liz Carmichael

Author Liz Carmichael has stopped by today with a teaser of her new book In The Shadow of Vesuvius.

Screams came from below the west window. I ran over to look. Icy spider feet raced down my spine. Mice and rats sprang from holes and cracks in the walls of neighbouring bakery, and its drains. The vermin scrambled over each other, forming a grey and brown moving patchwork as they fled along the cobbled street. Women servants whooped, and struck out at the vermin with yard brooms, staffs, or anything else they could get hold of, to keep the rodents from entering their owner’s homes. Hopping from foot to foot, mothers and daughters kicked out at the scurrying horror. In their rush to flee, the animals showed no desire to enter any home; they ignored the women and poured around statues, carts, and people as though with one mind, and that mind, like mine, was telling them it was time to leave. Watching them I wished I had that same freedom. The sight of the women dodging and swiping at the rodents, though, caused hysterical laughter to bubble up within me. It tried to change into a scream. Forcing it back down almost choked me, but I did not want to scare Remy. I snatched up a pillow and, pressing it to my face, buried the scream within it. Pushing back tears, I wished to have someone to share my dread: if only just one comforting shoulder for this one time.

  Author Links: Website
Purchase on Amazon for Kindle
Purchase on Amazon in Paperback
Purchase on Barnes & Noble

Although born in Scotland and spent time in other countries, Liz is now happily settled in Melbourne, Australia.
She is an editor as well as a writer and avid reader - especially historical fiction - who loves researching, though she can get so caught up in research she forgets about the story she's researching for.
Liz also draws and paints for relaxation, and will do illustrations for her books whenever possible. She walks her daughter's dog because both need the exercise.

She has a Dip. Art(Professional Writing and Editing), and taught writing and editing for two years until the need to concentrate fully on her own writing took over again.
Her favourite authors, in no particular order, are: Sue Monk Kidd, Sara Donati, Geraldine Brooks, Vanora Bennett, Sarah Dunant, Cormac McCarthy, Markus Suzak, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Robert Harris. For Crime: Michael Connelly, Minette Walters, Jeffrey Deaver, and Dean Koontz for his crime with humour. Newest favourite authors are Anne Obrien and Pauline Gedge - writers of historical fiction, of course.
The book trailer for In the Shadow of Vesuvius was made by Chuck Pride of "American Pride Productions"


  1. This sounds like a book that will keep me on the edge of my seat!

  2. Hey Heather, thanks for the email via She Writes. Will reply. Just thought I'd check in here. You seem to have lots going on looking around your blog. And wow - you've read 73 books already! I wish I could get through so many so quickly. I'd do a lot more reviews. :) The book about sounds interesting, though the book cover is a tad Western looking to tempt me. The title's great though. :)

  3. I've got some heebie-jeebies going now from thoughts of the vermin. Ick!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva