Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Review-Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless

by Josephine Angelini
Harper Teen
ARC
GoodReads Summary:
Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling STARCROSSED delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds expectation.

******Slight Spoliers if you haven't read Starcrossed in which case this review will make no sense*****

Okay, I used the word EPIC to describe Starcrossed, but truly, Dreamless is EPIC. There are so many stories going on besides the one major story and I just can't imagine, as a writer myself, how this author kept everything straight. There are introductions of new characters, new revelations and the often dreaded love triangle. But it works here because Helen and Lucas believe they are cousins and if they can't be together then Helen should have someone right? (NO! I AM TEAM LUCAS ALL THE WAY!) But I can't find anything to dislike about Orion so for now, he's a good guy, just not my favorite for Helen.

So the story lines, I can't tell you them without giving things away. I'll tell you that all the Scions have more power than they know and are just now getting to know what they can do. We see Hector a lot more than I expected. Helen does not sit down and have a pity party about Lucas. She powers through all her troubles. Being the Descender is a very hard job and being alone every night is horrible. She's very isolated and she feels hopeless until she meets Orion down in the Underworld. He provides some respite from the loneliness and even some levity at times. And a reminder of what the Furies can do.

We learn more about the Furies and why they do what they do. We even see more of Daphne. And feel how deep her hatred of Tantalus really is. And the story she told about Ajax, his death, becomes believable. A new monster I've never read about is revealed. And on it goes.

The thing Josie Angelini does is takes the mythology which is ancient and not staid, but isn't really changing, is it? I mean it really is kind of written in stone, buildings and statues and coins. But Josie takes the old mythology and bends it into something I haven't seen before. Or maybe not bends it but brings it forward into our time as if it was still living, existing. I couldn't have dreamed most of this up and I still feel like I need to reread it because at 500 pages, I am bound to have missed a lot. 

I savored every minute Helen and Lucas were together. I felt every step of Helen's lonely descent into the Underworld. The hopelessness. I understood the Scions being worried about their human friends and relationships. And yep, I had to do research again. Looked certain people up to find out who they were, the stories behind them. You don't have to do that to understand the story, but I love doing that. I don't remember my mythology of the minor people enough to know who did what and what they were famous for or infamous for.

I am dying for the next book! I want to slap Daphne still. I don't trust her and don't understand her motives for keeping Helen and Lucas apart. I just don't get her. But I'm sure Josie Angelini won't leave it hanging. She will let us know when we need to and not a minute before. Maybe during the reread I'll be able to see a motive. I just know that I devoured each and every word and even when I tried to predict something, I was never right. 

Unpredictable, heartbreaking still, revealing, intricate, detailed, sweeping -EPIC. It's the only way to describe Dreamless that doesn't limit it in any way. It's an amazing follow up to Starcrossed and lovers of that novel will love to see all their favorite characters in greater depth in this novel. This is one of my favorite series and I absolutely cannot wait to see where the story leads next. I know it's supposed to be a trilogy, but this seems like such a big story to end in just one more book. I could go another two books!  That is just speculation on my part and I have absolutely no knowledge of that at all. Just wishful thinking!

My thanks to Harper Teen for an Advanced Reader's Copy of Dreamless! There was no monetary compensation for my review.
Heather
(Team Lucas)

18 comments:

  1. I was disappointed when I read Starcrossed and I didn't know if I would read the second book but now you make me want to read it ^^.
    I think it's great that she added a triangle couple.
    I liked the whole Underworld and furies part when I read the first book so it's good if we know more about that in the second book !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say half of the book takes place there!

      Delete
  2. I never read the first one so can't decide on this one. Still, they both sound interesting and I do like me a Fairy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope no fairies dearie! This is Greek Mythology! Paris/Lucas and Helen, destined to live out their pasts again and again. You really need to enjoy Greek Mythology to like this series because it is very closely tied to it.

      Delete
  3. H haven't read the first one yet, so I scanned the review, seems like you liked the followup as well - will have to add the series to my TBR list!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you waiting for???? I know if your TBR is as long as mine it'll be the next century before you get to it. You think there's a huge library in Heaven? In mine there will be!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Starcrossed yet so I skimmed your review. Hopefully, I'll get to it soon once I get a handle on work. Glad you really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe none of you have read Starcrossed, but then I guess I can. It came out with such a bang and all the hype and you're probably worried it won't live up to the hype. Understood. It probably won't. It did for me. It was my next great love story, just what I wanted at the time. Hopefully you'll get to it and like it.

      Delete
  5. I skimmed as well since I have Starcrossed, but haven't read it yet. Looks like I'll be adding this sequel as well to my pile. So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I not put a spoiler at the top that said it would spoil it if you had not read Starcrossed? I revealed two of the biggest secrets in the review that you should not know when reading Starcrossed! What am I going to do with you guys!

      Delete
  6. awesome review, heather! both books sound so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell me you did not read it after I explicitly wrote there were spoilers for Starcrossed. The two hugest reveals are in my review!!! Maybe you'll forget.
      Maybe your memory is as full of holes as mine! I appreciate the comments but I don't want your reading ruined by you're reading my review!

      Delete
  7. I have been D-ying with a capital D for Dreamless to come out. I listened to Starcrossed as an audiobook and literally could not take the ipod out of my ear it was so riveting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, someone that finally read and loved it like I did! I was so excited for this one too! I don't do audiobooks very well. I find myself tuning them out. It's why I can write with music on. But I'm so glad you loved Starcrossed. This one is even bigger and more intricate than Starcrossed. It's huge too! A little over 500 pages. But so totally awesome, especially the ending!

      Delete
  8. Thank you all my lovely friends who read my review anyway when I told you it contained spoilers for Starcrossed and you haven't read it yet! I'm hoping your eyes skipped the two huge reveals that I mentioned in my review so it doesn't mess with your experience of reading Starcrossed when you get around to it. I totally appreciate each of you coming over to read my review. You are awesome!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, Heather, you have really outdone yourself with this review! Fantastic! You really broke everything down and answered all of my questions without spoiling anything and totally whetting my appetite. *bows down* Perfect.

    While you make everything sound wonderful and exactly what I'm looking for, I'm extra happy to hear there is more Hector! He is by far my favorite character. I'm also looking forward to seeing those Furies again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great review. I should really try to check out Starcrossed sometime soon. I've heard good things about this series.

    New to your blog! :)
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh snap. I'm going to have to reread book 1 because I forgot what happened with Lucas! This is why I don't read series books until all of them are published. My crappy memory gets fuzzy.

    Book 2 sounds amazing. Beyond amazing actually. I enjoy this series too. I'll have to start making notes while I read so I can rememember what happens between books!

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva