Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review-Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Lies Beneath 

by Anne Greenwood Brown
Goodreads Summary:
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

While not quite as dark and tense as I expected I really loved reading this novel, another from the male point of view, merman Calder White.  Calder was not as dark and as menacing as I thought he'd be. I figured he be exactly like his sisters, but from the beginning, he's in the Bahama's while the Sister's are already in the cold midwest. But the pull to go "home" is too irresistible for any of them to deny. Maris is the oldest sister and she keeps their memories of their mother alive for them. She's held the "family" together all waiting for this moment. They've found the Hancock. The one that was supposed to be given as a debt when their mother allowed Thomas Hancock to live and he promised his first born son in return. Instead he fled with his family that night. Their mother died in fishing nets trying to go after him. Calder  investigates the family as they leave their old home for the shores of Lake Superior. He looks in a photo album, catches glimpses and confirms to himself that it's the same Hancock. He can barely say the name without rage overtaking him. He and his sisters make the long trip to Lake Superior.

Calder and the sisters make a plan to get Hancock on the lake and Calder extracts a promise from Maris the "mother" of the family to be broken free of the family if he executes his plan. Things don't go his way and his charms don't work the way they do on all the other girls on Hancock's older daughter Lily. She's wary of him and try as he might, he isn't able to change her mind about him. There probably wasn't a guy that's tried harder to get her attentions, but she just didn't trust him. Rightfully so. Instead, things work the other way around and Lily's charms work on Calder.

The tension I was expecting and the suspense wasn't really there in the story. However, despite the lack of that, I really enjoyed the story. There was a lot of mistrust between the sisters and Calder. A lot of little secrets that had never been revealed and things about Calder that he'd never dreamed possible. But as he got to know Lily, she made things seem possible that he'd never seen, even the nature of merpeople. As you know from the summary, he fell in love with her, something he didn't think possible for merpeople.  And how do you kill the father of the girl you love. The man whose first name you can't even say. The man who is responsible for your mother's death, in a way.

I loved the mermaid mythology in this one. It's different in every story I read and I love how vicious and devious these mermaids are. They are brutal. They kill people. Pavati, one of his sisters, is said to play with her victims like toys. And Maris, well she just isn't likable no matter how pretty she may be. And they kill people to eat their essence, their happiness, their joy. That's what they feed off of, not even their bodies. Seriously messed up!

So, you add it all up, it's got romance, backstabbing, mystery, forgiveness, secrets, sacrifice, murder. I mean what else can you ask for in a great story? And this is just the beginning. According to Goodreads, the next book is told from Lily's point of view. Can't wait to see what she thinks about all this.

I read an ARC of this novel provided by the publisher Delacorte Books for Young Readers through Net Galley. This in no way influenced my review. This book was a clean read with the exception of underage drinking and sleeping together in a nonsexual way. I can't recall any strong language, but there might have been a little, it wasn't excessive if there was any.



  1. "romance, backstabbing, mystery, forgiveness, secrets, sacrifice, murder." - Ha! All in one book? Now you got me intrigued!!! With OF Poseidon I found a sudden love for mermaid stories so ....

  2. It's not Of Poseidon. But it's a good story. The love interest doesn't quite hold you like that one did. But Calder is fiercely protective of Lily. He'd die for her. He'd also kill for her.....

  3. I liked this one. I enjoyed the darkness in the way you described... but something was missing and I just couldn't connect to the characters in a way that I would have liked. Still, it was enough for me to want to read the next book.

    1. That's how I felt Melissa. Not quite the dark I was expecting and the characters weren't who I thought they'd be, but I liked the story and I'm a character person. Since I really want to read the next one, I feel like it was a really good story.

  4. You give me hope on reading this book, Heather. I know a lot of people were ho-hum about it. I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up on the trouble areas. I like knowing before I go into the book so I won't be really disappointed.

    1. Rummanah-
      I knew going in that it wasn't going to be as dark and tense as I had expected so I wasn't disappointed. I think that helps. I hope you like it. I'll be looking for your review!


This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva