Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Review-Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shine

By Jeri Smith-Ready
Simon Pulse
Summary from GoodReads:
In this dramatic conclusion to the Shade trilogy, Aura and Zachary’s relationship sizzles as the secrets of the Shift are revealed.

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.

I read this book with a bit of sadness knowing this would be the last book for Aura and Zachary. And man, the first chapter already had me crying. Logan finally says goodbye. What, you knew he would, but it's very bittersweet for both of them. And us, whether you were Team Logan or Team Zachary, unless Jeri Smith-Ready pulled a miracle out of her pen, Logan wasn't going to be winning the girl. He had her, he messed it all up, and he lost her. Now it's time to let go and let her get on with her life. It's also hard because Zachary and his family are on their way back to Scotland having been deported. Aura is really alone. 

Then, tragedy strikes and things get out of control and Zach disappears from everyone's life. They know where he is, but no one can see him and they can't get him released. And Aura is in as much or more danger from the DMP than ever. A lot of this book takes place with Aura and Zach apart from each other. Aura  tries to figure out the Shade/Shift thing while trying to figure out how to get Zach back. Her aunt does all she can to help but the DMP is formidable.

There are a lot of endings and beginnings of relationships in this novel and maybe it all has to do with Logan's death, how much it changed everyone's life and plans. Mickey just isn't the same without him. Dylan seems to sometimes want to take his place with Aura, but they know there is nothing but friendship between them.  And then when Aura finally gets to see Zach, she finds a shell of the former Zach, a haunted boy, instead of the shining, happy Zach. And she doesn't know how to get him back.

I loved that Zach was damaged in this one. Aura had been damaged in the first book and Zach had been the strong one. They were somewhat more equal in the second book, growing as a couple. But in this book, Zach needs Aura. And she knows it. Video Chats aren't going to help she has to be with him. And that's the other thing Jeri Smith-Ready does really well. Those awkward first moments. The first time.Just enough information, but not like we were prying. Even providing some levity to the situation.  And then the need to touch each other and kiss and reassure and feel each other again and again after that first time. But there was more than that. There was so much real love written into those scenes, feelings, I wanted to be Aura! Of course, things can't be happily ever after, there was too much to do. Figure out the Shift, stop the ghosts, the DMP, make Aura and Zach safe. The list was endless and Jeri Smith-Ready continued the harrowing adventure, not letting the Aura and Zach rest until the very last few pages.

I'll say that I closed the book with a happy sigh feeling that everything had been addressed and all the bases had been covered. I was happy with the way everything had turned out, but I sure wish there were another adventure with Aura and Zach in the works. Maybe solving some other kind of mystery.

Thank you Jeri Smith-Ready for being so involved with your readers during the YA Crush Tourney, for writing such a great trilogy and for a very satisfying conclusion to one series that will go on my special shelf to be re-read again and again.

Heather

17 comments:

  1. I still haven't got my hands on this one. I need to put it on hold though because your review just got me all excited again! I just love Zach and am curious to see where and how things go. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace-
      It just delivers! I was so happy with this final book. Sad to say goodbye to them, but the characters stayed true to themselves and I felt like all the loose ends were tied up. That's how a story should end, not with you having to write your own ending.

      Delete
  2. Just like Candace I haven't gotten around this series.. I am still not very sure if I really would love it but I see how much you do love this series and now that it finally came to an end maybe I should pick it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny, Danny, Danny, you with your love of romance in YA, this is the greatest of love stories and mysteries! God it's heartbreaking and bittersweet and uplifting it's everything! You would love this series!! It's got your name written all over it! "Read me" Don't you hear it calling you???

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous review Heather! You summed up my feelings about this one perfectly, it was definitely bittersweet to read it:) I loved that Zach was damaged in this one too, it made their relationship feel even - like the need for one another is equally intense on both sides as is the desire to be a support system. LOVED IT:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I loved that Zach wasn't a superhero after what he'd been through. I'm so sad to have their story end, but happy with this last book.

      Delete
  4. Just skimmed your review, Heather, because I still have to read "Shift" but I'm glad that you had a happy sigh after reading the last book. There's nothing worse than spending time reading a series and then feeling "blah" or "I wasted my time on this?" feeling after you're done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rummanah-

      You seem to like well written stories so I think you would like this series. It's definitely for the older YA crowd, but it's great! (and my name is in the back of the book in the acknowledgments)but that in no way influenced my review:)

      Delete
  5. I have yet to read anything by Jeri Smith-Ready, and I feel like that is such a shame on me. I need to like yesterday.

    Interesting that the characters kind of take turns being the damaged ones. It sounds like they are the type that are careful to reveal their true selves. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this series Missie, they have to be careful to reveal their real selves. They definitely have to learn to trust. I think you'd love this YA series and I've heard good things about her adult series too. I'm thinking of trying it, but I need to finish the Guild Hunter series and the Iron Druid Chronicles.

      I would read anything by Jeri Smith-Ready!

      Delete
  6. I think I'm kind of happy this is the last one. That way I can get all three and devour them at once. THEN I'll be sad. :) This one sounds as good as I've hear the others are. I'm so putting this one on the wishlist with the other 2!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Seeing what you like in the YA genre, I think you'd really like this series. Aura is a great heroine, not kick-ass, there is no ass kicking, she's definitely flawed, very human. As are all the characters. There is a definite finality in this one. No going back. But it is a great series, one I will read again. Special shelf worthy. Oh and Zachary with that Scottish accent-to die for!

      Delete
  7. Great review Heather! I love this series and I am sad it's over. It's one of my favorite YA series. Even though we didn't get as much of Zach in this one, I still loved it and I'm happy with the way it ended :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber-

      No we didn't get as much Zach, but I liked what we got. I felt we saw more into him and got to the real heart of why he and Aura make such a must be couple. I can't imagine the series ending any other way. And thank you!

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with you about Zach and them as a couple :-)

      Delete
  8. I didn't end up liking this book as much as the second (which I absolutely loved) but I thought it was overall pretty satisfying with good emotional and plot conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review!!!!!! I haven't read this series but I really want to. Zach sounds soooooooooooooo awesome! Now that the series is over I think I might try to get all the books at once so I can read it over the summer. Maybe from the library?!?!? Thank you so much for the honest review...I totally appreciate it!!!!!!

    Following your blog :-)
    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete

This is an AWARD FREE BLOG. Thank you for understanding.
While I appreciate it, I just don't have the time to respond to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs using papers from the Fashion Passion by Irene Alexeeva